Alternatives to a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning a tank (55g) with mollies, guppies, cory catfish, cardinal tetras, and german blue rams. I understand these fish like planted tanks but I don't have the ability or knowledge to do that.

1. Will silk plants be just as good for the fish?

2. What are my other alternatives? I like hardscapes and rocks, so anything involving rocks would be cool.

I was thinking my theme would be "abandoned ancient Rome", if that gives you guys anything to go off.

Last edited:
Some low light plants basically don't require anything special. Knowledge is easily obtained through this site or others. These plants are probably cheaper than some silk plants as well. One thing to note about your setup is that corys need a smooth substrate like sand. Something without jagged edges. Lots of the lowlight plants can be tied to rocks and driftwood to make the hard scape even cooler looking.
You definitely need some broken columns and ruins for an abandoned Rome theme.

It's not so much that I can't acquire the knowledge, I just don't want a live planted tank.

I'm trying to find out what alternatives there are.

Rocks, wood, fake plants, decor..... Not sure what your after as "Alternatives". You can do anything youd like... Minus real plants.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use silk plants for your stock list. They'll be fine.

Rocks, wood, fake plants, decor..... Not sure what your after as "Alternatives". You can do anything youd like... Minus real plants.

+1 you can use about anything that's aquarium safe?

Caleb

Pretty much all the fish listed above like planted tanks because of the cover it provides among other things.

I was asking for alternatives that still provide all the benefits a planted tank provides for the fish (benefits as in cover & good environment not nitrate levels or anything). Apologies if this wasn't clear originally.

Last edited:
Live plants are pretty easy to do with a decent light and cheap fertilizers though. I have water sprite with a Jack Dempsey and a cheap LED and it gets beat up and still grows...

Caleb

Just get some java fern, anarchis, hornwort and throw it in there.. it'll work..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom