Am I abusing my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuseeds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So for about six months I've had a 20g long tank with two common goldfish, one female Betta, and one bristlenose pleco. It's actually my first tank, but I'm a bio major and pretty obsessed with observing aquatic ecosystems, so I got these seemingly incompatible fish anyways. I realize I shouldn't have done that in the first place, but I was a new aquarist and my curiosity got the best of me.
Here's my situation:

1.To combat the waste produced by goldfish, I have three filters running.
2.To combat the current that bothers the betta (who actually seems to enjoy hanging out by the filters) I put tall plants throughout the tank to stifle the current.
3.I also use probiotic additives to dissolve sludge in the gravel bed, and plants of course act as a filter, too.
4.Since my goldfish are greedy, I feed them first to distract them, then give the betta several of her pellets in a small corner of the tank before the goldfish can get them. To keep the goldfish from eating the pleco's algae wafers, I hide them in a little crevice in one of the hideaways.
**To summarize so far: feeding is proper and filtration/current is balanced.**
5.As for temperature, I keep it at 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I know goldfish get affected by that, but I did research on why that is and it turns out warmer temps make their digestive system move faster, as well as lower the amount of oxygen in the water. To counteract the digestive system speed up, I feed them a bit more AND added a third filter to get rid of the extra waste; I also added a bubbler that I keep on for a few hours a day to increase oxygen in the water.
6.As for space: the goldfish are growing quickly, so I'm moving them to my new 55g long tank as soon as I have the money to set it up and let it cycle. But as of now, going by the 1inch of fish to 1 gallon of water, I feel there's enough space.
Here's how my fish are doing: their colors are all vibrant, they react energetically to my presence, they eat readily when food is given to them, there are no squabbles between them, they are all growing at good rates, they have never had any diseases, they all swim around the entire tank/explore their entire environment, there is no lethargic behavior, and they utilize the hideaways I provide.

Last night, the... dramatic aquarist ....corner of Tumblr slammed me with accusations of animal abuse, neglect, and "creating this tank just for my ego" and making my fish miserable.
So my question is: have my fish been miserable this whole time? If they are showing all signs of health and happiness, how can they be suffering? I know that when the goldfish are bigger their move to the new tank will be necessary, and I also know I need to get driftwood for my pleco to rasp on, and for that I do feel terrible.
But are my fish really all so sad? I love them, and I want them to have the environment they need.
I've spoken to employees at aquarium specialty stores (as in NOT petco) and they seemed impressed that the rank remains successful. Can you give me your input?
Thanks,
Anne Hurley

So for about six months I've had a 20g long tank with two common goldfish, one female Betta, and one bristlenose pleco. It's actually my first tank, but I'm a bio major and pretty obsessed with observing aquatic ecosystems, so I got these seemingly incompatible fish anyways. I realize I shouldn't have done that in the first place, but I was a new aquarist and my curiosity got the best of me.

Here's my situation:

1.To combat the waste produced by goldfish, I have three filters running.

2.To combat the current that bothers the betta (who actually seems to enjoy hanging out by the filters) I put tall plants throughout the tank to stifle the current.

3.I also use probiotic additives to dissolve sludge in the gravel bed, and plants of course act as a filter, too.

4.Since my goldfish are greedy, I feed them first to distract them, then give the betta several of her pellets in a small corner of the tank before the goldfish can get them. To keep the goldfish from eating the pleco's algae wafers, I hide them in a little crevice in one of the hideaways.

**To summarize so far: feeding is proper and filtration/current is balanced.**

5.As for temperature, I keep it at 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I know goldfish get affected by that, but I did research on why that is and it turns out warmer temps make their digestive system move faster, as well as lower the amount of oxygen in the water. To counteract the digestive system speed up, I feed them a bit more AND added a third filter to get rid of the extra waste; I also added a bubbler that I keep on for a few hours a day to increase oxygen in the water.

6.As for space: the goldfish are growing quickly, so I'm moving them to my new 55g long tank as soon as I have the money to set it up and let it cycle. But as of now, going by the 1inch of fish to 1 gallon of water, I feel there's enough space.

Here's how my fish are doing: their colors are all vibrant, they react energetically to my presence, they eat readily when food is given to them, there are no squabbles between them, they are all growing at good rates, they have never had any diseases, they all swim around the entire tank/explore their entire environment, there is no lethargic behavior, and they utilize the hideaways I provide.

Last night, the... dramatic aquarist ....corner of Tumblr slammed me with accusations of animal abuse, neglect, and "creating this tank just for my ego" and making my fish miserable.

So my question is: have my fish been miserable this whole time? If they are showing all signs of health and happiness, how can they be suffering? I know that when the goldfish are bigger their move to the new tank will be necessary, and I also know I need to get driftwood for my pleco to rasp on, and for that I do feel terrible.

But are my fish really all so sad? I love them, and I want them to have the environment they need.

I've spoken to employees at aquarium specialty stores (as in NOT petco) and they seemed impressed that the rank remains successful. Can you give me your input?

Thanks,

Anne Hurley

Ok, first off want to commend you on your efforts to control the flow and nutrients.

Now onto the stocking.

Very few fish can you use the 1 inch of fish per gallon. Mainly only small tetras.
Common gold fish get big, over 1' some specimens. A 55 gallon will still be too small. 100 gallon minimum or an outside pond. For gold fish think more foot print than gallons. They are fast powerful swimmers. They need to be able to use that speed without bumping into the walls.

Second temperature is my main concern with these species together.

Goldfish are cold water fish. Keeping them at tropical temperatures will shorten their lifespan. And keeping tropical fish in a cold water tank will also shorten theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, first off want to commend you on your efforts to control the flow and nutrients.

Now onto the stocking.

Very few fish can you use the 1 inch of fish per gallon. Mainly only small tetras.
Common gold fish get big, over 1' some specimens. A 55 gallon will still be too small. 100 gallon minimum or an outside pond. For gold fish think more foot print than gallons. They are fast powerful swimmers. They need to be able to use that speed without bumping into the walls.

Second temperature is my main concern with these species together.

Goldfish are cold water fish. Keeping them at tropical temperatures will shorten their lifespan. And keeping tropical fish in a cold water tank will also shorten theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What?!? I have seen koi get huge but never a goldfish longer than a foot! A hundred gallon tank for just kne fish is something I simply can't afford, so I suppose I will donate them to a LFS. Thanks for your tips :)

Plecos also get large and produce a tremendous amount of waste. They need a large tank as well.
Have you been monitoring the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? These will help you assess the effectiveness of filtration and water changes.

Plecos also get large and produce a tremendous amount of waste. They need a large tank as well.
Have you been monitoring the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? These will help you assess the effectiveness of filtration and water changes.

I hear bristlenose only grow to about six inches long. But yes I have been monitoring those levels carefully and ammonia is consistently at 0, probably because I have two filters whose medium is specifically for ammonia removal.

So you're a college student studying life and ecosystems, you've clearly researched and made decisions based on that information, and you take great effort to maintain this system?

I used to be on a different aquatic forum, but the commenters regularly made me cry. Like feeling like human garbage kind of sadness. People can be mean!

So, first of all, trust your sources that aren't Reddit. Reevaluate with your new information.

And don't bash Petco! They sometimes have wonderful, knowledgeable employees. The manager where I go keeps his own tanks and will tell me about them.

You may have to make changes moving forward, but you are not abusing your animals.

I hear bristlenose only grow to about six inches long. But yes I have been monitoring those levels carefully and ammonia is consistently at 0, probably because I have two filters whose medium is specifically for ammonia removal.

Your right, common and sailfins are the one that get huge.

Back
Top Bottom