Am I abusing my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emandsugar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my two fish, cinnamon and sugar about 13 years ago. Cinnamon died of dropsy last year. I tried to save him by putting the salt on the tank like the site said to but it didn't work for him or the other tiny fish I saved from a horrible school experiment (his name was marshal). Sugar was showing signs but I think the salt saved her.

Anyway, sugar is a five cent feeder fish... I wish I knew more about her. Her and her brothers were tiny when I got them but she has gotten really big. Big to the point to where she always bleeds a little bit when I take her in and out of the tank... (which is not very often) to clean it. I have a very large tank and she has a lot of room to swim. But I feel so bad when I hurt her like this. She's even lost part of her tail fin before.

It's breaking my heart and I'm panicking. I love sugar and I'm so scared she's in pain.

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 86
Why are you taking the fish out when you clean your fish tank?

What was the other fish. Currently I see a goldfish in a small tank with a small looking. filter.

My biggest concern would be why is he bleeding and where from. Does he have a previous injury ? As a rule, I never remove my fish from their tank unless it is to medicate a sick fish. You can do your routine cleaning with your fish in the tank. Partial water changes and vacuuming the gravel are all the maintenance you should need. Also, looks like you have a comet goldfish, he should be in at least a 30 gallon tank, or larger if you have other fish. Flchamp is right, you may want upgrade your filter too. Hope this is helpful. Have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom