Am I crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
On another form about catfish that I browse I ran into a post that made me a "newbie" scratch my head and actually speak out. I want advise if I am nuts?

This poster said he wanted to redo his tank and had a 29gl tank and wanted Tiger Bards and Pictus Cats. He asked if they could be tank mates and how many pictus he could have in his 29gl.

The moderator suggested 8-10 Tiger Barbs and 5 yes FIVE pictus cats for the 29gl tank.

WHAT? Am I nuts to think this is massive overkill?

I sat there and did the math.... 5 pictus that get 6" = 30" of fish on the bottom of a 29gl tank? Add in the decorations they need to hide and well where is the room for them to swim on the bottom????

I have a 55gl with 4 (2 are four-line) and I can not imagine adding in one more pictus on the bottom and cramming it into a 29gl.

While I think 5 is too many, I think 3 could live comfortably in a 29 with diligent water care.

IMO they grow far too big for a 29 gal tank. I wouldn't even consider purchasing them for that size.

I read often that at least a 55gl is suggested. Some sites with specs on the fish suggest a min of 75gl.

Owning a 55gl myself with pictus now, I think the 75gl is more idea. My tank is 13" wide. A 6" fish doesnt have as much room as they should IMO.

Why get a 75gl? I am going all out for the 125gl this summer LOL

I have 2 pictus cats in my 55 gallon and they do take a LOT of space. Considering that they grow to 8 inches or so as well, I would definitley say 5 is overkill.

While 5 may physically fit in the tank, they won't in a few years.

lmw80 said:
I also think 29 is way too small for even one to comfortably live.
I would have to completely agree. It's just not enough space. I have a 29G and couldn't imagine a 6"-7" catfish on the bottom, with the minimal space after adding all the decor and plants, if planted.

Back
Top Bottom