Am i overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelerfish412

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up 3 peacocks the other day which brings my cichlid total to 18 plus two plecos. I have a 55 gallon tank with aquaclear 70 and a 425 gph circulation pump. Here's my list of them
3 rustys
3 peacocks
2 cobalt blues
2 kenyi ( 1 male 1 female )
1 ob zebra
1 johanni
1 auratus
1 venustus
1 poly stigma
1 brichardi? ( from the start up )
1 albino can't think of the name
1 black cichlid never figured out what he is
And 2 plecos
Am I overstocked ???

Hmm..I would say you are somewhat. As long as your water is good and you do water changes frequently then you should be ok. Are they common plecos?

Yea they are common been in there from the get go don't get messed with at all wanted to get a gold nugget pleco but I don't wanna spend that kinda money and have it not work out

I picked up 3 peacocks the other day which brings my cichlid total to 18 plus two plecos. I have a 55 gallon tank with aquaclear 70 and a 425 gph circulation pump. Here's my list of them
3 rustys
3 peacocks
2 cobalt blues
1 ob zebra
1 johanni
1 auratus
1 venustus
1 poly stigma
And 2 plecos
Am I overstocked ???

Your way over stocked you need to look up profiles of fish before you buy them or ask. You need to re-home venustus and the poly

I do read the profiles and most of em max out at 5-6 inches except the poly and venustus. The poly is the only one I'm worries about he is very territorial and the venustus is actually one of the most peaceful guys in there now and he is almost the biggest besides the ob zebra

Even if you did the simple 1 inch per gallon rule (which i hate) you are way overstocked on the cichlids alone. Common plecos get pretty big too.

Tank Overstocked?

3 rustys
3 peacocks
2 cobalt blues
1 ob zebra
1 johanni
1 auratus
1 venustus
1 poly stigma
And 2 plecos
Am I overstocked ???

Hello Steel...

The more important questions are: Are all the fish going to get along and what size will they be as adults? You already have the fish, so whether or not you're overstocked is unimportant. If you've done your homework as far as the fish being compatible and not getting too large for the environment, then you're fine.

The only thing you must do now to ensure stable water conditions for your fish family is to do large, weekly water changes. You have a fairly large tank, so there's apparently room for the fish. Just change out half the tank water every week, NO SLACKING. This will remove most of the toxins that can make the fish sick. The toxins that remain will be diluted to a safe level in the new water.

By removing large amounts of tank water weekly, you guarantee safe water conditions, because there's no time for toxins to build up in the water before the next large water change.

B

Some of your fish are to large so you might wanna recheck some of the profiles .. i always use cichlid-forum.com/profiles its a big help .. the ventus is gonna get 10in.. i would try to stick more towards 5-6in or smaller if i was you but like mentioned above you have the fish now so you can either return them to the lfs or upgrade to a bigger tank .. at the end of the day its your call since its your tank ..

I would say that first no matter what you do you should add another large hang on filter or even better a canister. The bio wheel 350 is cheap and pumps 350 gph. And a filstar xp2 canister is a good choice. If you return the peacocks and the venustus and stigma an swap the plecos for smaller ones .....along with adding filtration and weekly water changes you can keep all the othe fish. Make your next project a peacock or a hap tank - that's my plan if I can convince my wife of a 125!

I tried adding another filter but it wasnt working properly I cleaned up an old emperor 400 I had from a long time ago and hooked it up and it's extremely loud tried messing with it for a while and just figured I need a new motor

I tried adding another filter but it wasnt working properly I cleaned up an old emperor 400 I had from a long time ago and hooked it up and it's extremely loud tried messing with it for a while and just figured I need a new motor

I have a bio wheel 350 you can have. I just set up second canister so took it down (as I'm overstocked and need much filtration too!) . 3 months old you'll just need to order the 2 bio wheels and cartridges or make your own as I have the plastic things u can use to do that. On the house!

Also, judging by your pics on profile they're all really small so it's not like the whole re-homing is no means urgent

Probably are overstocked. The rule is one inch per gallon. But don't take that as an exact rule. I have quite a few in a 30 gallon, but I change water regularly and use a bacteria booster.

Probably are overstocked. The rule is one inch per gallon. But don't take that as an exact rule. I have quite a few in a 30 gallon, but I change water regularly and use a bacteria booster.

Oh no!!!!! Not the inch per gallon rule!!!!!

Yea they all are pretty small ob zebra is the biggest and he's only about 2.5 at most so when they get bigger ill try to trade with my lfs get rid of plecos venustus and poly for credit towards a descent pleco I really like the golden nugget but dunno how my Africans would like him.... Any other suggestions of descent lookin plecos that would work dont really like the bristlenose that much

Back
Top Bottom