Am I ready to buy Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It has been 3 weeks of aquarium cycling. I appreciate how much help I could get from this site.
Am I ready? For the ultimate pet?

------------------------------------------------------------

Test results: (3 weeks ago)

Ammonia [2.0ppm]
Nitrite [usually 1 ppm]
Nitrates[2.5ppm]
PH [6.6ppm]
Tank size [36 gallons]

---------------------------------------------------------------

Test results 2: (3 weeks later)

Ammonia [0-0.10 ppm]
Nitrite [0-0.5ppm]
Nitrate [0-0.5ppm]
PH [6.6]
Tank size [36 gallons]

:thanks:

Have you been following the fishless cycle process... as in dosing ammonia?

There is a great wealth of info in the Getting Started thread and links container therein in my signature. This will help you get even more ready for the ultimate pet!!!

Forget it im buying fish.

It was a simple yes or no question. I dont need links or any photos.

thanks for helping tho :)

Forget it im buying fish.

It was a simple yes or no question. I dont need links or any photos.

thanks for helping tho :)

Why ask the question if you're going to disregard the answer? As noted above, you're tank is not ready for fish even if you're ready to go buy them!

I let my new tank run without fish for 4 weeks. Didn't add ammonia to drive myself nuts. Planted tank and used plants and filter media from my old set-up. Put in 6 tetras and dosed with APA Quick Start. Used quick start every day for next 7 days. Did 25% WC after day 5. All fish did well. Water tested ok all levels. 29 gal freshwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know you said you didn't need any links but there is a way to establish the cycle with fish, but it is much more work for you, primarily in water changes and testing.

Just go slow on adding fish as the fish will make ammonia which will not be used up because the BB are still growing.

There are a few things to be cognizant of - know the signs of ammonia poisoning, and Nitrite and Nitrate poisoning as well. Clamped fin, Dropsy aka Pine Cone Disease, fin rot, and what medications if any will help your fish friends. These conditions stem from poor water conditions which will occur if water isn't changed often enough during a fish -in cycle or of course any other times water quality is poor.

A bottle of Prime is more expensive than many water conditioners but more valuable because of its ability to help keep water conditions safe for fish.

If you are gonna love your fish friend(s) you will want him/them to be healthy and happy.

Here is information for a "fish-in" cycle, just in case you want to know how to keep your fish safe.

We care about you and your fish being happy and well.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Oh no!!!

Oh no I bought fish!!! What do I do now?!?

I cant donate them to anybody.

I cant throw them away! its inhumane

I cant do anything but watch them die!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Pretty much into fish-in cycling. The link posted above is very good for this. Also you have a test kit so well advanced.

Have you checked tap ph used for water changes? Test straight from tap and then put some tap water in an open bottle to degas for 24hrs. Test ph on that to get true ph. This will see how much tap ph and tank ph vary.

A lower ph reduces ammonia toxicity. Too low a ph will reduce nitrifying bacteria activity.

Back
Top Bottom