Am I the only one that . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
. . . . shakes the daylights out of *all* the API test bottles as opposed to just Nitrate bottle #2? I figure what can it hurt! Am I just wasting energy?

Also, since I'm close to the end of cycling, the pain-in-the-tuckus Nitrate testing is becoming somewhat regular. How long does that test have to sit still before it needs to be fully shaken again? My arms are getting sore.

Hey, I have never shook any of the other bottles only nitrate#2 and have never had a problem... They give u full instructions in the api master kit (freshwater) ... If u put the nitrate #1 into the test tube (10 even drops) cap and shake once, then shake bottle #2 nitrate for a full 30 seconds then add 10 drops to the test tube with the nitrate #1 and shake for a full minute ... U then leave the test and it's true result is after 5 minutes:)))

Vol4Ever said:
. . . . shakes the daylights out of *all* the API test bottles as opposed to just Nitrate bottle #2? I figure what can it hurt! Am I just wasting energy?

Also, since I'm close to the end of cycling, the pain-in-the-tuckus Nitrate testing is becoming somewhat regular. How long does that test have to sit still before it needs to be fully shaken again? My arms are getting sore.

I also shake all the API test solutions before I test. :) got to be a habit I quess! The Nitrate solution....when I check Nitrates for more than one tank at a time I still shake the darn bottle for 30 seconds....even if I do the test back to back. By the way how hard are you shaking the bottle if your arm is getting sore? Lol

Yes me too. It does make difference for Nitrates, Ammonia and Phosphate tests. For ammonia and phosphate a few seconds is enough. For Nitrates you have to shake like **** bottle #2 and test tube after adding #2 reagent, otherwise you will not get an accurate reading.
For ammonia you have also shake test tube for ~10 sec after adding reagent #2, otherwise you will not get an accurate reading.

pH, Nitrite, GH and KH work well without shaking.

I do too. Not excessively, but for about 5 seconds each bottle. For the nitrate test, I always shake for the full time for each bottle and the tube (I even bang bottle #2 on the table a few times to loosen the reagent powder). Once I thought I did the full test correctly (shook bottle #2 for 30 sec, and the tube for 60) but I must have counted too fast or something b/c my nitrates were 0 when the day before they were something like 40. So I did the test again and this time the nitrates showed, so that test is very finicky.

I let my husband do all the bottle shaking. This way I don't have to buy him a Shake Weight for Men. :cool:

LyndaB said:
Shake Weight for Men. :cool:

HA!! Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks those things are hilarious. I can only imagine the looks I'd get if I took one into the local gym. Looks like a sex toy gone horribly wrong. :)

They actually sell the girlie ones at our grocery store! Every time I go down the paper towel aisle, I grab it and give my hubby a little performance. I told him to get me two for Christmas! :brows:

Deviated from the topic a bit (which was made tongue-in-cheek anyway, even though some folks seemed to think I was serious).

But I gotta ask. They have girly versions of shake weights on the paper towel aisle at your GROCERY STORE? :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom