Amano shrimp disappeared !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterplaty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Lol ! So I got 7 Amano shrimp yesterday . this morning I don't see any . It's very possible they are hiding in my submarine. Or dead in my submarine. Maybe I didn't acclimate them properly ..
Weird.

I wouldn't give up on them. My tank has lots of hiding places and in some weeks I see them every day and other times not for weeks at a time. They've been in the tank for a year and a half and are quite healthy. I do notice them pinching catfish pellets and scurrying away with them to feed away from the fish and other shrimps.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 20 amano in my 65g. Wish me luck if I spot 2 in the same week.

I mostly don't see mine, they hide very well. But when I do a water change they go nuts scurrying about everywhere.

They hide.. very well... when they get big they're a little more brazen. I once boiled some dw, thought it was free of fishy friends. Hmmmm don't recall adding shrimp to the pot :( lost 3 that day..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found 2 on my floor dead and 3 in my filter eating happily. I put the 3 back in the tank (hopefully they made it in safety)so that leaves 2 missing still .. I lowered my water level to try and prevent them from climbing into the filter again but I have a feeling they can still climb in

I bought some plants from a friend who was thinning out his tank. I laid all of them out on a plastic sheet whilst planning on where to plant them. Later I saw a shrimp walking across the sheet. Quickly put him in the tank. When i finished there was another on the sheet. I now have 5 in the tank so 3 must have been hiding in the plants. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought some plants from a friend who was thinning out his tank. I laid all of them out on a plastic sheet whilst planning on where to plant them. Later I saw a shrimp walking across the sheet. Quickly put him in the tank. When i finished there was another on the sheet. I now have 5 in the tank so 3 must have been hiding in the plants. ?

Awesome!

I got 6 more Amano shrimp today ,lowered my water level and covered the filter intake with pantyhose

Glad you solved some of the mystery. They really love the Hikari omnivore sinking wafers, I mean really love them.

If you need to count them, don't feed for a day or day and a half then drop one of those
in, they will be all over them! Mine would fight over the discs like tug of war, and then hold and eat them like a hamburger, rofl!!!

Glad you solved some of the mystery. They really love the Hikari omnivore sinking wafers, I mean really love them.

If you need to count them, don't feed for a day or day and a half then drop one of those
in, they will be all over them! Mine would fight over the discs like tug of war, and then hold and eat them like a hamburger, rofl!!!

Lol I have to try that!

Back
Top Bottom