Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaze1983

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 100ltr planted tank. Yesturday I was told by my local fish shop that they could not let me buy any Amano shrimp as they will die in a planted tank. She said that this was only realised recently. I find this very strange as I thought they would thrive in a planted tank. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's odd. Did they provide a reason for this? I've had an Amano in my planted tank for over a year. They are popular in planted tanks as a form of algae control. I would ask the store why they will not do well in a planted tank?

They didn't give a reason. I thought this was very strange too. I think I will just buy them from somewhere else! :)

Ridiculous lol!!!!

Like Fresh ive had 8 amano shrimp thriving off the biofilm and little algae on my plants for almost a year too

That's just absurd.. I've had them in a planted tank for over 6 months.. they graze on plants film and algae..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's exactly what I thought. It was a large chain pet store that told me that. I'm going to go to the small tropical fish shop where I bought my neon tetras. He didn't have any shrimp in stock at the weekend but he said he'll have some in 2 weeks so I'll just wait

I wouldn't trust a big box store anyways with amanos.. ghost shrimp can be passed as amanos but don't live as long..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think I can trust them with anything, I only went there as last resort. I'm happy with my local fish shop but I just have to be a bit more patient and maybe pre order in future as he doesn't have lots of stock

I don't think I'll be going back there anyway. I've just got to wait for my small local fish shop to get some more shrimp in stock

Back
Top Bottom