Amazin Sword troubles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So when the more mature leaves on my amazons began to look like this, I cut back all that were looked rough, added some more root tabs (they were due anyway). Now the formerly non-shredded leaves are looking bad, and while there are beautiful green newer-growth leaves coming on and all the amazons I this tank are expanding, I'm puzzled at what is the cause of this "lace-effect".

Water parameters are fine, am also using Flourish Comprehensive.

Ideas?

Stock list:
Two angelfish
Large school of harlequin Rasboras
School of Rummynose tetras
Two rubberlip plecos (I believe a male and a female)
One SAE (he was going to be sent to the Petco re-home tank for misbehaving (chasing and injuring other fish- but since it's partner was caught and he was too quick and smart to be caught, he remains).
One male albino bristlenose pleco
A few cories
A couple of very effective assassin snails
A pair of horned nerite snails (that lay eggs regularly)
A well-controlled (as in- very few) other snails (occasional rams horn appears and usually gets eaten within a few days of being seen, and every once in a while I see an MTS, but the assassins are efficient.)

Some photos of the "damage"...

Attachments

• image-466326991.jpg
    image-466326991.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image-578994476.jpg
    image-578994476.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 78
Well- some time has gone by, and I have done two major cutbacks of damaged leaves, and added additional root tabs and supplemental potassium. Things seemed to improve for a couple of weeks, but in the last three weeks, it's condition is the worst yet.

Do you have the stock lights? I had a similar problem before I upgraded my lights.

Nope. 3x T5 HO

One is on 10hrs, all three for a five hours of "mid-day sun". Also run CO2 injection.

Oh- and rest of the plants, including some with significantly higher light requirements- generally are doing well.

A cording to the API liquid test kit- the color is somewhere between 0 and 5ppm. Probably closer to 0.

I just re-did that test to confirm (levels are usually somewhere around 20ppm).

So I rechecked my Ammonia and Nitrites- both still zero.

Hmmm... Am I nitrogen-deficient? Other, faster growing plants sucking it all up?

Oh- and I only do 5-10% water changes every 2-3 weeks any more, and even then, not as a result of high levels, but out of drill/clean-up/aesthetics.

aqua_chem said:
Possibly. Are you shaking the crap out of the nitrate test its first?

Hehe. And when I have counted the suggested time, I start over again with the shaking. I also give it the full 5 minute wait to check it. I then let it sit another 2 minutes and check again.

I'm almost convinced it is nitrogen deficiency. Now to figure out my course of action. I had figured a fairly high bio load would provide enough nitrates. Guess not.

Looks like a lot of stems with T5HOs and CO2? You will probably have to supply such a setup with ferts as they will surpass what your bioload can produce.

Back
Top Bottom