amazing Nertie snail story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 2 weeks ago I drove to petsmart and bought a zebra nerite snail . In fact I covered 5 petsmart locations to see all the snails and only one had a tiger . So I got the little guy .

Now fast forward a week , I notice I am not seeing my snail , where is my snail ? So I decide , seeing that I know that these like to bury themselves , I start sifting thu the eco complete . Nothing , no snail :facepalm:

Then a day later , I just tear down the tank , cup by cup full I sift thru the eco complete , still no snail ,I check outside of the tank on the floor nada , no snail
Now forward another week . I am doing my maintenance, a water change .
I happen to look down on the carpet and their is my snail lying on the carpet . After 2 weeks I thought for sure that this snail was dead but hey , I though I will at least try something so I put it in a clean coffee cup and filled it with water . Low and behold , when I checked back after my water change was done The little guy was stuck to the side of the cup , so I gently pull it off and drop in in the tank .

I am now happy to report he is moving around my tank looking for food .
How in the world does a aquatic snail survive 2 weeks out of the water is nothing short of amazing to Me !!

Here's a picture of the snail . edit quick question , is it a nerite snail ? Correct ?
I am asking because it seems that this little guy likes to hang out above the water line .

Attachments

• IMG_20171024_192446.jpg
    IMG_20171024_192446.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 63
I have a nerite that refused to be in the water, he got out multiple times till I got a cover that completely blocked him, and he would ride around on the top trying to stay out of the water. Since he's in my shrimp tank I just keep the water level slightly below the top frame so he can clear the water now, he goes in the water some, but still prefers to be out.20170720_212001.jpg

I have a nerite that refused to be in the water, he got out multiple times till I got a cover that completely blocked him, and he would ride around on the top trying to stay out of the water. Since he's in my shrimp tank I just keep the water level slightly below the top frame so he can clear the water now, he goes in the water some, but still prefers to be out.View attachment 304546

well thanks for the reply ! :)
My little snail just refuses to stay underwater . 5 times now I have tried and 5 times he just heads for the small , dry space just under the rim of the tank . In contrast the other nerite snail , one black racer nerite , just stays underwater , no problem , weird ! That is why I am asking could petsmart have sold me some other species of snail ?

after doing some research I am starting to suspect that what I have is NOT a nerite snail but a mystery snail Mystery Snail Care, Diet, Feeding & Shell Size

What caught my eye is this
"Mystery Snail shells can be a solid color, have a color gradient, or have accents of light brown, dark brown, black stripes and other markings"
AND this
"Mystery Snails Can Escape: Mystery Snails are expert “escape artists”. They are very good at finding ways out of the tank"

About 2 weeks ago I drove to petsmart and bought a zebra nerite snail . In fact I covered 5 petsmart locations to see all the snails and only one had a tiger . So I got the little guy .

Now fast forward a week , I notice I am not seeing my snail , where is my snail ? So I decide , seeing that I know that these like to bury themselves , I start sifting thu the eco complete . Nothing , no snail :facepalm:

Then a day later , I just tear down the tank , cup by cup full I sift thru the eco complete , still no snail ,I check outside of the tank on the floor nada , no snail
Now forward another week . I am doing my maintenance, a water change .
I happen to look down on the carpet and their is my snail lying on the carpet . After 2 weeks I thought for sure that this snail was dead but hey , I though I will at least try something so I put it in a clean coffee cup and filled it with water . Low and behold , when I checked back after my water change was done The little guy was stuck to the side of the cup , so I gently pull it off and drop in in the tank .

I am now happy to report he is moving around my tank looking for food .
How in the world does a aquatic snail survive 2 weeks out of the water is nothing short of amazing to Me !!
Very interesting story and glad you find him and he is doing ok.

Based on your pic it looks like a nerite, mysteries are much rounder

Back
Top Bottom