Amazing tank growth! -- update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

So my tank has been doing fairly well recently, except for the ich.

I went away for a week and did not feed the fish or anything. My friend topped up water once while I was gone.

I came back to...

healthier, ich-free BIGGER fish
all inverts alive and well
corals growth ^^^^^^^
clearer water than before
99% nuisance algae gone

The tank is 10x better than when I was here! I wish I could take pictures but I left my camera away from home. things are going really well and I'm going to try to take a hands off approach these days :)

Also - I have confirmed my upgrade to a 150g tank! I'm really excited about this and will be planning the parts I use in the near future. 48x24x30"tall with corner overflow. Planning for about 3" of sand at the bottom.

Here are pics from before i went home:

Pics

Unfortunately it will probably be 2 weeks before I get my camera back.

I've noticed that my pod population has decreased a TON, and my sergeant major damsel is now the largest damsel by a lot... so he must've eaten all the pods.

The sebae anemone I added has quadrupled in size now and stays open nicely all day. It's about 4-5" across now. Tomato clownfish has been put back in (killing a friend's coral) so I'm hoping he will host it.

My favorite coral by far is the frogspawn. It's doing great and is huge compared to before. My torch coral is doing so-so. It went from 9 heads down to 2 (long 3 hour trip in cold). The 2 heads are doing ok and growing but I don't know if more heads will ever grow.

Should I break off dead braches of torch/frogspawn?

The pink finger leather is probably my fastest growing/healthiest coral. It's much bigger than before and the polyps extend really nicely.

Toadstool was doing well but I ripped away the rock that was holding it in place (was supposed to be temporary) and he receeded a bit. Hopefully it will imrpove again over the next week.

You can go ahead and break off the dead branches if you can do so without damaging the coral. The heads should grow and then start to spit, good luck.

Yeah I can't wait either....go get a new cam.....the heck with making us wait 2 weeks for you to get your cam back!!!

Also, keep in mind that ick can leave the fish's skin and live in the water column where it can come back to haunt you still. Keep an eye on it.

Bigger fish in 1 week???? 8O I think you just may have been really happy to see them. :wink:

The new tank - that's an awfully deep tank. And I see you like your reef. Could be expensive lighting needs. You sure you can't do a 6' tank instead of a 4'?

austinsdad said:
Also, keep in mind that ick can leave the fish's skin and live in the water column where it can come back to haunt you still. Keep an eye on it.

Bigger fish in 1 week???? 8O I think you just may have been really happy to see them. :wink:

The new tank - that's an awfully deep tank. And I see you like your reef. Could be expensive lighting needs. You sure you can't do a 6' tank instead of a 4'?

Yep - I've had ich now for at least 4-5 weeks I think. It forms on the fish and drops off but all the fish still eat and swim around. The yellow tang doesn't ever seem to get it back and tha damsels seem unaffected.

The damsel grew a ton and ate all my pods... I can't believe how huge he is. The other two damsels are super small now... maybe it's just the ccontrast.

The new tank is already ordered... and since I already have a 48" fixture I'm sticking to it. I don't think the 30" deep will be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom