Amazon sword doesn't reproduce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a few swords that just got to big and I had to remove all but one of them. They are growing extremely tall but I haven't seen them send out shoots so I could replace the large one with smaller ones. Any secret to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Trim off the biggest leaves, and keep doing this. The plant will begin to produce smaller leaves and will become bushier overtime! :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

If I cut all the leaves off and just plant the root bulb will it regrow?

I had the same problem with my sword. It didn't ever create runners for over a year and then I broke down my tank and moved it into a smaller tank without root tabs or good lights. For some reason it grew a huge runner and I pulled 18 baby amazon swords off of.

It did however split and I was able to get a few new amazon swords over time by separating them at the base.

Maybe you're just taking care of it too well? :D

I might have to split at the base my one large remaining sword. Maybe I need to start ignoring it to see if it gives me runners.

Same here, I feed roottabs too, never seen any runner! I think they don't see the need to reproduce when they got adequate lighting and ferts. But if you would remove said roottabs I think the plant will be encouraged to do just that :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Interesting sounds like they send of runners in search of food. If they are content they just over grow my tank instead!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom