Amazon Sword in 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbarks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, new to this forum. I have an amazon sword in my 29 gallon tank that has just taken off. I really like the plant, but it grows so tall now, all of the leaves are above the water line, covering the light. This makes the tank really dark, and all you can see in the tank are the stems of the plant. Is there any way to help this? Would brighter lighting reach further down so the plant doesn't need to grow so tall? Any help or suggestions anyone could give would be appreciated. I will try to get a picture of this to show what I mean.

Thanks!

That is just how the plant grows and a 29 is rather small for an amazon sword. What you can do is cut off the outer leaves right above the crown making the plant less full and more verticle as it doesn't block as much light. I trim mine to keep it in the space I allow for it and I have a 220g. If left alone, untrimmed, they can get enormous.

Thanks for the input. I know the 29 is rather small, I wish I had more space for it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try trimming it back a bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom