Amazon sword issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 amazon swords in my 20Long currently. Lighting is an Aqueon T5NO dual lamp with 1 18w 6700k + 1 18w colormax bulb. Light was on for 8 hours a day on a timer, and am now trying 9 hours. I have seachem's flourish root tabs placed near each amazon sword. Temp ranges from 77-80, currently set at 79-80.

The sword on the left side of the tank, has shown absolutely NO growth at all, in the month or 2 that I've had it. No new leaves, not even stems. The current leaves on it however, are perfectly fine. No holes, no brown algae on it or limp stems. I even tossed another flourish tab on the other side of it, but still nothing.

The sword on the right however, after I plucked 3-4 old stems off, has grown about 6-7 new leaves that are 3-6 inches each. The only issue with that one is some of the leaves are a bit transparent. I googled a bit and found the issue with transparent swords is not enough iron, but the flourish tabs are listed to contain iron, so I'm a bit confused.

The ancharis, anubias, and java ferns are each growing pretty well, but I'm told those could probably grow in cold water with no lighting.

Any sword owners care to share some tips?

The sword that is not actively growing could be in a dormant phase. My big Amazon swords do that off and on so don't worry. I actually use root tabs from AquariumPlants.com. I use their Total ones, plus I buy and use the Phosphate ones and the Iron ones also. Swords like alot of phosphate and iron so besides using the reg Total root tabs I give each sword 2-3 phosphate and iron tabs also around every 45 days (or when I remember if I forget to write it down). Here's a link to the tabs I use... AquaFertz.com: SUBSTRATE VITALIZATION SYSTEM

Hm thanks for the link, I'm going to look into that. 75 pellets for 10 bucks is a great deal, a lot better than the 10 tabs for 7 bucks from seachem.

The thing I seen mentioned there was putting those type of pellets underneath the root system of the plant. My flourish tabs are placed 1-3 inches from the sword, so did I not place mine correctly? I think I may try placing them directly underneath tomorrow to see if it'll help before I order those new ones.

Hm thanks for the link, I'm going to look into that. 75 pellets for 10 bucks is a great deal, a lot better than the 10 tabs for 7 bucks from seachem.

The thing I seen mentioned there was putting those type of pellets underneath the root system of the plant. My flourish tabs are placed 1-3 inches from the sword, so did I not place mine correctly? I think I may try placing them directly underneath tomorrow to see if it'll help before I order those new ones.

Yes, it's a good deal. If you are ordering from that site might I suggest getting the pellet applicator? Keeps your hands dry and allows you to place the pellets where (and how deep) you want them with minimal disruption to the plants. You can use the applicator tip to smooth out any divots in the substrate as well. I have a 20g long and got the 18" applicator; it is a shallow tank and the applicator can reach the corners. If you have any deeper tanks the perhaps get the longer ones.
I'd place the pellets under the swords if possible. However, for my smaller plants that are relatively close to each other (e.g. 3-4 Cypto wendtii in a 3"x3" area) I inject a pellet in the middle.
The applicator is pictured here...
image-1026587887.jpg

With as large as my 2 swords in the 220 are I can't get pellets under them. I just put them as close to the plant as possible, all around the plant and it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom