amazon sword problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of the leaves on my amazon swords are turning brown and yellow. Is it because of insufficient light or insufficient nutrients???

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110902_160218.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110902_160218.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110902_160659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110902_160659.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88
Actually could be both. Amazon swords can tolerate medium-low light, but do better with more.

They are also bi users of iron (yellow of leaves is often a good sign of the lack of iron and other nutrients).

You didn't post your setup- the following would be really helpful:

Size of tank?
What kind/how much light?
Use any fertilizers/tabs/supplements?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?

Oh right sorry.
Its a 29 gallon with stock lights. Water parameters are good. No ferts or co2 or added anything.
I keep the window open during the day for added light but its about 7ft away from the window.

Should I try root tabs??

Dang. I thought they were low light.
What are some other low light plants that will do great like my java fern?

Though they're considered medium-low light plant ... I have one
Zoo-med 6700K 32watt T8 bulb in a 75 gal tank ... clearly well below
1.wpg and my swords are holding their own. Not growing .. but not dying either. I did lose a few leaves to the same issues your having, Amazon's a heavy root feeder so root tabs like Seachem Tabs I find work well to provide nutrients and somewhat offset the very low lighting I have.

See the link below for additional info
Plant Deficiency Picture Diagram - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

Dang. I thought they were low light.
What are some other low light plants that will do great like my java fern?

I agree with jeta ... In Your case it's a lighting issue, your stock bulbs just may not have the necessary lumens to keep your swords alive. Usually stock bulbs on hoods are only good for looking at fish, not maintaining plants. However I do think Roots tabs are vital for Amazon Sword ... IMO.

Anubias and Crypt (actually growing in my tank) would be good low light additions to your Java Fern.

Ah okay thanks ill look for some of those.
And get some root tabs and see if that helps.

Root tabs wouldn't hurt. And yes, stick lights are rarely worth a flip for everything but truly low-light plants.

tarpon said:
Yeah:( I can't afford new lights right now.

Check the type of bulb you have. If not a 6500k or thereabouts then you are not getting the most out of what you have.

It says 8,000k full spectrum daylight. Hg. 17watt .120 volt .T8. 24"
Its a single bulb.

Back
Top Bottom