Ammonia absorbing plants + uncycled tank options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mae140

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again everyone,

I've been struggling with ammonia for awhile in my tank, mainly due to the fact that it never cycled properly.Yesterday I did a full cleanout as my ammonia levels were off the charts (literally; the test was dark blue) and got the levels down to 1 ppm (my fish are sitting outside in two 10 gallon tanks). When I woke up this morning the level had risen to 2 ppm.

Tank:
55 long
Flora-max and standard gravel at bottom
Emperor 400 hob filter
Secondhand Eheim professional 2 canister filter (I got it off craigslist a few weeks ago. Was previously used in sw).

Levels:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
The temp is low since there's no heater in it; both of mine went to keeping the 10g tanks warm overnight.

Fish:
1 female adult angelfish
2 juvenile bala sharks
1 adult golden dojo loach
1 adult khuli loach
1 juvenile peacock eel

My fish are all large so I can't leave them in the 10g's (There's really no filtration going into them; just moving water), there's also a heatwave coming over the next three days where the temps outside will reach 90-95 F (New York). I have an uncycled 20 long I can put them in while I wait for the 55 to cycle, what do you guys think about that idea? Also, can I add the bala sharks to the 55g to help it cycle?

The 10g's are also holding all my live plants as well as fish. The stock of plants is mainly a massive amount of red ludwigia (it just keeps growing and I feel bad about throwing plants away).

I know plants primarily absorb some of the nitrates in the tank, but what about ammonia? Are there specific plants I can buy and put in the tanks that will help with lowering it?

Hello again everyone,

I've been struggling with ammonia for awhile in my tank, mainly due to the fact that it never cycled properly.Yesterday I did a full cleanout as my ammonia levels were off the charts (literally; the test was dark blue) and got the levels down to 1 ppm (my fish are sitting outside in two 10 gallon tanks). When I woke up this morning the level had risen to 2 ppm.

Tank:
55 long
Flora-max and standard gravel at bottom
Emperor 400 hob filter
Secondhand Eheim professional 2 canister filter (I got it off craigslist a few weeks ago. Was previously used in sw).

Levels:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
The temp is low since there's no heater in it; both of mine went to keeping the 10g tanks warm overnight.

Fish:
1 female adult angelfish
2 juvenile bala sharks
1 adult golden dojo loach
1 adult khuli loach
1 juvenile peacock eel

My fish are all large so I can't leave them in the 10g's (There's really no filtration going into them; just moving water), there's also a heatwave coming over the next three days where the temps outside will reach 90-95 F (New York). I have an uncycled 20 long I can put them in while I wait for the 55 to cycle, what do you guys think about that idea? Also, can I add the bala sharks to the 55g to help it cycle?

The 10g's are also holding all my live plants as well as fish. The stock of plants is mainly a massive amount of red ludwigia (it just keeps growing and I feel bad about throwing plants away).

I know plants primarily absorb some of the nitrates in the tank, but what about ammonia? Are there specific plants I can buy and put in the tanks that will help with lowering it?

Hello!

Looks like you have hit a roadblock. First thing I would do (if possible) is take back the fish or get someone to hold them.

That's too much bioload in a cycling tank and you would need a lot of water changes to help keep is safe for fish.

2. Your stock list needs some adjustments..
Kuhli- need groups of 5+

Dojo- much prefer groups of 3+ AND THEY ARE COLDWATER FISH!

Bala- this is a bad idea altogether, they like groups of 5+ and a 55 can't handle a group that big.

Peacock- should be fine but be wary of adding small fish like neon tetras as these are carnivores and will eat stuff that can fit in their mouth.

Angelfish- this is fine but not recommended with the dojo as Angels like temps around 80 while the max I would go for a dojo is 75.

3.Once you take back the fish put your heaters back.

4.put all those live plants in you want. Hornwort is good at consuming nitrates. I cannot say with assurance, there is/not 1 plant that consumes a measurable amount of ammonia. Just nitrates. Plants use fish poop(ammonia) as fertilizer but as far as straight up ammonia I'm not sure.

As long as there is no livestock in the tank you want to keep 3ppm ammonia anyway to help the bacteria colonize. If there is fish, don't let it exceed 1ppm.

Caleb

Hello!

Looks like you have hit a roadblock. First thing I would do (if possible) is take back the fish or get someone to hold them.

That's too much bioload in a cycling tank and you would need a lot of water changes to help keep is safe for fish.

2. Your stock list needs some adjustments..
Kuhli- need groups of 5+

Dojo- much prefer groups of 3+ AND THEY ARE COLDWATER FISH!

Bala- this is a bad idea altogether, they like groups of 5+ and a 55 can't handle a group that big.

Peacock- should be fine but be wary of adding small fish like neon tetras as these are carnivores and will eat stuff that can fit in their mouth.

Angelfish- this is fine but not recommended with the dojo as Angels like temps around 80 while the max I would go for a dojo is 75.

3.Once you take back the fish put your heaters back.

4.put all those live plants in you want. Hornwort is good at consuming nitrates. I cannot say with assurance, there is/not 1 plant that consumes a measurable amount of ammonia. Just nitrates. Plants use fish poop(ammonia) as fertilizer but as far as straight up ammonia I'm not sure.

As long as there is no livestock in the tank you want to keep 3ppm ammonia anyway to help the bacteria colonize. If there is fish, don't let it exceed 1ppm.

Caleb

Hi!

Khuli: I was planning on making the 20 long I have a refugium/space to grow more plants, algea, and snails to help with bio-filtration. Can I put a school of 5-6 khuli in there as well? The single on I have now usually sticks by the Dojo. They were introduced at the same time.

Dojo: I was not aware of the Dojo's temperature requirements! Along with the Khuli he was my first fish, and by the way he ate, acted, and grew I assumed everything was alright.

Balas:I'm currently trying to rehome the balas; I'm aware of their size and I've had issues with it in the past.

Unfortunately there is no one I can get to hold my fish, nor am I able to bring them back. If I keep up with water changes everyday and monitor my levels, is it possible to keep the fish moderately safe in the 55g? What about adding something like ammo-lock? Would it help if I separated my stock - putting some in the separate 20g and some in the 55g?

Plants eat Ammonia before they eat Nitrate. Either way there is not enough plants to eat it fast enough in your case. You need to add something Like Seachem's Prime or Kent's Amquel Plus to detox the Ammonia. Add 1 does every day because it breaks down after 2 days. You bio filter is not working. Make sure your Ph is between 7 and 8. If it is too low your too high you probably have an Alkalinity problem. Then I would add a bacteria starter. Many companies make them. Make sure to get one for fresh water. Add it every day until the cycle is done. Don't let Ammonia get above 1 ppm. That just slows down the cycling process.

EDIT: The root cause is that you have so many fish in an uncycled tank. If possible try to move some of the fish (but not all of them) to other places for a bit.

If I separated the angel and dojo to the 55 and the eel and khuli to the 20 for now, both tanks having seperate filtration, would I be in a good spot in terms of bioload? I'm going to look around today and see if I can get a LFS to take the balas...I heard Petco will take unwanted fish and adopt them out?

It never really easy to say exactly what will happen with a bio load because there are so many factors. However, I can defiantly tell you any fish you can get out of the uncycle tank and into tanks with established filters is a big plus. Also....Don't add more then double the amount of fish to an established system in one month.

Would it help if I added stress zyme to the tank? I've heard mixed reviews from people saying it helped kickstart their tank, to others who said it was a waste.
Is there any harm in adding it in?

Would it help if I added stress zyme to the tank? I've heard mixed reviews from people saying it helped kickstart their tank, to others who said it was a waste.
Is there any harm in adding it in?

Just builds your TDS level, I'm one of those people that only uses water conditioner, no extra chemicals.

Caleb

That product is for giving your fish a slime coat. It is aloe Vera. People debate that benefit. It also dechlorinates the water which you don't need if you add either of the other products I named. It is redundant. So in this case I say skip it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention you can also use ammo chips to help get all that ammonia out until your filter kicks in. They are cheap, commonly available, and rechargeable.

Just in case-

API stress coat won't detoxify ammonia that I'm aware of.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=652#.VbarGYrCbCQ

API stress zyme adds heterotrophic bacteria (sludge destroying). You don't need to add extra really as this bacterial population grows very quickly.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=653#.VbaqGorCbCQ

API ammo lock (or seachem prime/safe) will detoxify ammonia for 24 to 48hrs. Grab some.

API quick start (or another product) will help establish (maybe!) the autotrophic, nitrifying bacteria population you need.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=618#.VbataYrCbCQ

As above - zeolite can help. Pretty easy to use.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=562#.VbasK4rCbCQ

Realistically you are in for a lot of water changes. I'd check tap water doesn't have ammonia just in case. A pinch of salt will protect fish against the following nitrite spike (or seachem prime).

Hopefully the links help as pre-dawn here.

Last edited:
Just in case-

API stress coat won't detoxify ammonia that I'm aware of.

Welcome to API Fishcare: STRESS COAT®

API stress zyme adds heterotrophic bacteria (sludge destroying). You don't need to add extra really as this bacterial population grows very quickly.

Welcome to API Fishcare: STRESS ZYME®

API ammo lock (or seachem prime/safe) will detoxify ammonia for 24 to 48hrs. Grab some.

API quick start (or another product) will help establish (maybe!) the autotrophic, nitrifying bacteria population you need.

Welcome to API Fishcare: QUICK START®

As above - zeolite can help. Pretty easy to use.

Welcome to API Fishcare: ZEOLITE AMMONIA REMOVER

Realistically you are in for a lot of water changes. I'd check tap water doesn't have ammonia just in case. A pinch of salt will protect fish against the following nitrite spike (or seachem prime).

Hopefully the links help as pre-dawn here.

Yes, I think I got my products mixed up. Sorry about that. Too many products. There used to be one that was a slime coat and dechlorinator that was popular but I can't even remember the name now. I thought stress zyme was the API knock off of that.

It's only as API used to be the only set of products you could buy here that I got to know them. Kind of good and bad as I don't mind the products but seachem are nice too (now we have two product lines at the lfs :) )

I gave the balas to my local petco; they took them in and put them in a big planted tank without a problem. Overnight my ammonia spiked back to > 8 ppm; the test turning blue (API master test).
Could the Flora-max I use for my plants be retaining ammonia and leaking it? Should I have rinsed my plants in untreated tap before adding them?
I don't know where I should turn; can't get prime or a bacteria supplement till Friday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LOT of 50% waterchange...

Daily or each two days for the firsts 3 weeks.

Also, if you can get that, use your friends old filter media without rinsing them...

Back
Top Bottom