Ammonia and nitrite clear but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monsweet

Aquarium Advice Regular
E have had problems with ammonia and nitrite the last week but now both are back at 0ppm :) but our nitrate is now 0ppm too! Is that ok?? I thought it has to be about 20? What shAll I do?? The tank has been set up 3 weeks now

I'd redo your nitrate test and be sure to shake the bottles hard

I agree. The best nitrate results come from shaking the bajeezus out of the 2nd bottle and the tube once drops are in.

Just redone it as you said, still have the same results???

I was mistaken it's gone up to 5ppm now. Do I leave it? Will it rise on it's own?

I was mistaken it's gone up to 5ppm now. Do I leave it? Will it rise on it's own?

On the condition you have nitrates, no nitrites, no ammonia and you haven't added any chemicals to your tank such as startup bacteria then you're cycled (y)

Cynic said:
On the condition you have nitrates, no nitrites, no ammonia and you haven't added any chemicals to your tank such as startup bacteria then you're cycled (y)

Wooohoooo I hope soooo! We haven't added anything to the tank just water changes for the last 5 days. I'll keep a very close eye and test it every day for a week or so before I add anymore fish just to be on the safe side :))

Nitrates aren't as toxic as ammonia or nitrite. THe maximum nitrate you want to let your tank have is 40, <20 is ideal. Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. So your fish produce ammonia, which the bacteria convert into nitrite, then another bacteria converts that into nitrate. Depending on how stocked your tank is, nitrate might not rise that much. Nitrates only leave the aquarium through water changes, which is why a good weekly water change schedule is suggested (as well as to replenish nutrients in the water even if your nitrate isn't that high). Hope this helps :) If your ammonia and nitrite just fell to zero I agree it's a good idea to wait at least a week before getting more fish. Depending on what/how many you add you may see an ammonia spike but just do some extra water changes and it should settle back down to 0 on its own in a few days. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom