Ammonia burned goldfish and some questions on keeping them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my kids brought some goldfish home from the fair :facepalm:. It was pretty evident immediately that they were in really bad shape. We lost one about 4 days in and the other one seems to be healing up very well. He hasn't eating anything I've given him other than he really seems to love the wisteria I tossed in for him.
1)Will the surviving GF be able to live a normal life span?
2)Will it be ok by itself or should I get another 1 or 2 comets to go with it?

Currently the fish is in a 36 BF with plenty of cycled material and zero ammonia showing and 20-40 nitrate but that's just my water. I will be working on a pond next summer for them and the turtle the kids also brought home from the fair! Yes my kids turned this year's fair in 1 heck of an expensive endeavor for me. The turtle has already cost me around $100 and we are just getting started with him! At least the goldfish I could properly house with stuff I had in my house! I do believe in giving all of them the best life possible. But goldfish have just never really been my thing so I just don't know that much about them other than they are dirty get huge and really should be in a pond.

If you're planning a pond then I would just keep the one goldfish for now in the 36. Add some buddies later in the pond.

My son is wanting a turtle so Ill be in that world soon [emoji849]

Just remember King they can live in some cases 87 year old. So if your son really wants the turtle remind him it's his lol!!!

Told all my kids they had to take pets with them when they moved out or chose pets with a shorter life span, with lots of research for the pets. Worked out - they picked shorter life span pets, but one, took the cat with her!

As for the GF especially that it is a comet, you will need the pond. Look for pond pets that can get along, like a turtle might eat a GF. Though likely to get big quickly.

The Rosy Minnows are pretty hardy. Mine spawned after a year and a half. Do some reading about them if you end up wanting them to spawn for you. They get odd spawning bumps - looks weird. Rosy color are MUCH easier to see in the pond, and inexpensive. QT them. Food for a turtle and fish to watch.

Back
Top Bottom