Ammonia dosage?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
Yep! As long as you add the correct dose (based on your tap water reading). :)

My tap water has zero ammonia. And the calculator said to add 4.5ml to get to 4ppm.

So I dose 4.75ml of ammonia. That was 2 hours ago and I'm still not seeing anyone ammonia. Is this normal. Or do I need too does more. It is a 29 gallon tank

Can you please retest your ammonia as follows: shake bottle 1 & 2 well. Add 8 drops bottle 1, cap & shake tube well. Add 8 drops bottle 2, cap & shake tube well. Wait 5mins & check results & let us know how this reads! :)

I still see all white getting frustrated

Attachments

• image-3385493379.jpg
    image-3385493379.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 36
Are you positive your using the both bottles labeled for the ammonia test? What is the expiration date on the test kit? Do not add anymore ammonia. Even a zero reading on the test will be yellow. Its never clear unless theres something wrong. If the test is not expired & you are using both bottles are directed, contact API right now and explain to them that your test results are clear (as in plain water clear and not yellow) and they should send you a new test for free.

So I am suppose to add both bottles. So 16 drops total?

Yes, BOTH bottles!!! Shake both bottles well. Add 8 drops bottle 1. Cap the tube & shake well. Then, add 8 drops bottle 2. Cap tube & shake well. Now wait 5mins and check your results & let us know how they look! :)

Well before that I add 4ml again o ammonia. How much water change should Ido to lower it? It is at 8ppm

Now, before you do anything, I want you to retest your tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. The nitrate test is also TWO bottle test (use both for 1 tube)- the bottles need to be shaken very well and banged on a hard surface before using them for 2-3mins (your arms should hurt). The nitrate test is 10 drops bottle 1, cap tube & shake. 10 drops bottle 2, cap tube & shake well & wait 5mins. Let us know how your tap water reads for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate and we can go from there! :)

jlk said:
Now, before you do anything, I want you to retest your tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. The nitrate test is also TWO bottle test (use both for 1 tube)- the bottles need to be shaken very well and banged on a hard surface before using them for 2-3mins (your arms should hurt). The nitrate test is 10 drops bottle 1, cap tube & shake. 10 drops bottle 2, cap tube & shake well & wait 5mins. Let us know how your tap water reads for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate and we can go from there! :)

Well I had to go to work. And don't get off to 6. I did a 10% change then. 25% will the ammonia hurt anything is it rays that high for 6 hours? I lowered from 8ppm to around 6 or so I think.

jlk said:
No problem!! Let us know how everything looks when you get home & we can help you get things in order! :)

So it been alittle high won hurt anything? An I will do a big check when I get home. Do I use both bottle for every solution that has one? I'll take a picture too when I get home. Thanks for the help:)

So I just tested my water an that is what it reads. How much of a water change should I do to lower the ammonia to 4ppm? Also the ph looks alittle high, am I right or is 8.1 ok?

Attachments

• image-1446975339.jpg
    image-1446975339.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 51
Your ammonia looks blue, I recently had that happen to me and it was decided that the ammonia was super duper crazy high.. I might do a 90% or 100% wc if it really is that high. You can test this by filling a test tube with 50 or 25% tank water, and the rest of the way with tap. That will simulate a Pwc and give you an idea of how big of a wc you should do.

I just did a 50 water change so we will see what happens. If it is still very high I'll do a 75% change. Can I sure the filter off when I do big changes like that?

Back
Top Bottom