ammonia drops..nitrites still up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twinkey

Aquarium Advice Regular
i had my nitrite spike last sat....i redose my ammonia back to 2-3ppm,since tuesday my ammonia would be at 0ppm everyday after i get home but my nitrites stay up around 5.0ppm..is that normal..pH is good...nitrates off the chart...doing fishless cycle...started on july 15th..using pure ammonia

Yea that's normal but you still need to dose the ammonia back up until you don't have any nitrites!!!

yep, keep dosing ammonia and just wait. The nitrite phase is the longest; it can take about 3 weeks on average before they drop. Just keep dosing ammonia daily. If PH drops and/or nitrites are 5+ for over a week or/and ammonia conversion slows you can do a large 100% water change(s) to get nitrite to something readable on the chart (it'll rise again most likely which is normal). Eventually they'll go to 0 which means it's time for fish.

yep, keep dosing ammonia and just wait. The nitrite phase is the longest; it can take about 3 weeks on average before they drop. Just keep dosing ammonia daily. If PH drops and/or nitrites are 5+ for over a week or/and ammonia conversion slows you can do a large 100% water change(s) to get nitrite to something readable on the chart (it'll rise again most likely which is normal). Eventually they'll go to 0 which means it's time for fish.

well it did happen...came home my ph was at 6.0ppm....i did about a 95% wc...i put enough prime for 40gl in a 2 gallon bucket..then filled it with a hose..is that gonna be ok..doing it that way...then added ammonia to bring it up to 2.0ppm or should i go higher

well it did happen...came home my ph was at 6.0ppm....i did about a 95% wc...i put enough prime for 40gl in a 2 gallon bucket..then filled it with a hose..is that gonna be ok..doing it that way...then added ammonia to bring it up to 2.0ppm or should i go higher

You can add your PRIME right to the tank if you want before adding the water. Most people with water changers do it this way. I use buckets but because I can`t measure exactly what I remove I also dose my whole tank before refilling it. Just makes it easier.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I think 2ppm is fine. Just keep an eye and redose as librarygirl said

Back
Top Bottom