Ammonia from old decorations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I pulled out some old decor, and rinsed a bunch off. I put some in the tank, but the ones I didn’t, I noticed after a little while had a really strong ammonia-type smell.

I tested the tank, and the ammonia levels seemed to increase from .05 to .1 in the span of an hour.

I’m going to check it again later, but I was curious if anyone had anything to say about this?

Tbh, I run all my stuff thru the dishwasher, lol. I mean before it goes in my tank. Rocks, artificial plants, decor, etc. I figure the heat and stuff will kill anything bad on it along with cleaning it. Nothing has fallen apart yet. And besides, I figure if it can't handle one cycle in there, it's not good enough quality to go in my tanks anyway. Just my 2 cents

I bought a used 150 acrylic yesterday, had some really nice real rocks in there, and some artificial plants. They're all in the dish washer now as we speak. I also disinfect my nets in there on the top rack. The hold up pretty good. I've never had to replace one. Besides, they're cheap

Back
Top Bottom