Ammonia in my tap water - what now??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have been cycling my tank for about 2 months now and it is very slow going. To try to figure out why so slow, I finally tested my tap water and found the ammonia level to be about 1.0ppm!! I'm using the API freshwater test kit.

Could this be why the cycle seems to be going so slow? I have only been adding water about twice a week to top up any evaporation. Other than that, I am using ACE brand Janitorial Strength Ammonia and have the heat up to about 86 degrees. I did not have any seeding material.

Do I need to be getting water from a different source? Could this be what is causing the cycle to be so slow?

Thanks for your help!!

In 2012 my tap water tested 1.0/0/10 for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. For the last 3-4 months it has been 0/0/5. I do check the tap about once a month now.
I don't think it should slow down your cycle. I cannot remember what the ideal ammonia range should be for a fishless cycle but as long as you are testing regularly and keeping it within the limits you should be fine. If anything, you are probably adding a little less ammonia to the tank since the tap already has some. Perhaps the main reason for the slow start is the lack of seeded media.

8 wks give or take is not uncommon for a cycle to complete so I wouldn't say you're slow or stalled just yet but without a little more info. I can't say for certain. What are you other parameters; nitrites, nitrates & Ph? Unless you were overdosing your pure ammonia the 1 ppm in your tap shouldn't mess up your cycling process. Once you're tank has cycled that 1 ppm shouldn't be a problem. Have you done any water changes during the 2 months? It may be possible one of your other parameters is either way too high or your Ph has dropped too low & your cycle has stalled. Have you seen nitrites/nitrates?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom