Ammonia in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaShark

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently I tested all the water sources in my house and there is ammonia in all of it, except the filtered water from the fridge. It takes forever to get enough water, and my dad no longer wants me to use it, in risk of damaging the fridge. Do I really have to get a full out water purifying system, or is there some simpler way? I am aware that Seachem Prime (which I currently use) is suppose to detoxify ammonia, but I have heard from numerous places that it only detoxifies it for 48 hours. I also dont like it showing a false positive for ammonia, so then I have no idea what really is in my water.

I have it in my water too. Around .5ppm I used to just add a bit of extra prime. It was usually back down to 0 by the next morning.

In 2012 I had 1.0 ppm ammonia from the tap. Interestingly it went back to zero in 2013. I did not have Prime at the time. I limited the PWCs to 20-40%; by the next day ammonia and nitrite were usually at zero. One time I did a 75% change and saw a trace of nitrite the next day.

What is your exact tap water reading for ammonia? If your tank is fully cycled there shouldn't be an issue; the BB will process the ammonia out like it should.

It was somewhere under 1ppm I think. I will test when I have time. I know the bacteria takes care of it eventually, but id feel better knowing I wasnt putting any extra ammonia in the water.

Back
Top Bottom