Ammonia issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countryfan05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 26gallon aquarium with 24 fish:
3 whitefin red tetras
3 blackskirt tetras
4 cory catfish
2 dwarf honey gouramis
6 neon tetras
6 danios

I know I am stocked (bad advice from the LFS but I clean every week and keep it okay). So last week I added 8 fish (giving me the 25 total) and my ammonia spiked to 2.o and then to 4.0. I added amon lock and it was 2.o. So I did a 25% water change for three days, it was still 2.0 so I did a 50% water change and that reduced it to 1.0. Then the next day I did a 25% water change (all of this was advice from my LFS) and added biospira. The next day still 1.0. Now four days later this is what I have

Ph 6.6 (as always)
phosphates .5 (as always)
nitrites 0 (as always)
NITRATES 20 (WAS 10 YESTERDAY)
AMMONIA 1.0

So what do I do? Do I do a 90% water change and add biospira again? Any other suggestions, I really need help. Thanks

Keep changing 50% of your water. Keep the ammonia under one. You are cycling. Watch your parameters and keep changing water. If you have more biospira then by all means add it.

I shouldn't cycle with Biospira should I? I can go get more, I also have something called special blend? It is supposed to be bacteria but it is in a bottle that is not refrigerated. Thanky you for helping!

no it was refrigerated!!!

It was the special blend that is not, it is a different kind of bacteria, I just wondered if I should try that with the water changes or go get more biospira

I have never heard of the special blend. The regular does work, but I dont think it is the miracle worker it claims to be.

rich311k said:
I have never heard of the special blend. The regular does work, but I dont think it is the miracle worker it claims to be.

It seems to have made things worse for my poor tank.

Your tank is not that bad. Your nitrites are 0, your ammoina is controllable, keep changing water and you are showing nitrates. Just change water and test, you are doing fine. Tank looks great.

rich311k said:
Your tank is not that bad. Your nitrites are 0, your ammoina is controllable, keep changing water and you are showing nitrates. Just change water and test, you are doing fine. Tank looks great.

Thank you very much! I feel much better.

Your tank is looking very good! I agree with Rich, the ammonia isn't horrible in your tank, with water changes you will be fine before too long.

pretty tank, just keep up on the water changes to keep them under 1 until you fully cycle (no ammonia)

also when your ammonia starts to go down you are going to be faced with a Nitrite spike.. During a recent mini cycle I lost more fish to Nitrites tahn ammonia... when I saw them dying I quickly began doing small water changes 10 percent TWICE a day...

it kept the rest alive until I had ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.

sherry said:
ps nice little tank.. is it a nano cube?

Not a nano, a 26 gallon bow front by all glass aquariums

Ammonia down to .25 but Nitrates up to 40, nitrites still 0?

rich311k said:
You may want do a water change today or tomorrow to lower your nitrates, but you are doing just fine.

Thank you, I will. Ahh, I can't wait for a calm tank. I lost one danio today

rich311k said:
You may want do a water change today or tomorrow to lower your nitrates, but you are doing just fine.

I did a 25% water change on Sunday. Yesterday my nitrates were 20 and my ammonia .25, today nitrates 4o, ammonia 1.0, what do I do? Please help.

Back
Top Bottom