Ammonia issues :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenix

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is fully cycled, I do a water change every 4 days or as needed as I test the water every other day.
Last night I brought home a betta. It was the fourth day so I did a quick PWC. I was unable to aclimate the betta when I brought him home so I was going to wait until today. This morning I tested my water and there was about 0.6 ammonia. I decided just to be on the safe side I would do a smaller PWC to try and get rid of the ammonia. I added a little extra prime because it says its neutralizes the ammonia (or something similar). I waited an hour after I changed the water and tested again. There was at least twice as much ammonia. I didn't think it would be from the prime or anything so I added another ml of prime to the water, waited a bit and tested again. The ammonia was between 4.9 and as high as the colour chart goes.
I tested my tap water and there is 0 ammonia.. I'm usuing a liquid test kit that it only a couple months old. Whats going on and what should I do?

Back
Top Bottom