Ammonia Mystery...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll definitely go with the 60%+. That math definitely makes sense considering draining a recently-filled tank is basically draining a portion of the recently-added "clean water" right back out, even if it is mixed with the nasties.

Exactly. DK is right, any water change is a good water change :) But with levels as high as yours, you should maximize your effectiveness IMO.

Hey all - a little update. It's late and I thought I'd post while I'm trying to get tired enough for sleep. :p

Anywho, I went ahead and did a near-80% water change (distracted all the little ones with a big algae crisp on the bottom) and filled her back up with prime'd tap water. An hour later, my ammonia reading is down around 1.0ppm, which is a marked improvement! I'll continue to test daily and water change daily based on how much ammonia has returned.

Thank you all again for you help, and I hope to continue learning in this ever-fascinating hobby.
:D

That is an improvement. Do another 80% water change tomorrow and hopefully you should be down to .25 ppm ammonia, which is the maximum you want (of course the best is 0).

Back
Top Bottom