Ammonia on the rise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alickx08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the past week now my ammonia levels are rising rapidly. The tank is a 20 gallon and it has been running for almost 2 months now. I have 7 tiger barbs (small) and 1 rainbow shark with 2 live plants. I have stopped feeding for 2 days now and have been doing 20% water changes every other day using Topfin's water conditioner only on the new water going into the tank as well as using API's Ammo Lock every 2 days on the full tank. Despite all of this the ammonia level is still increasing and I am lost for words on what is causing this.

For the past week now my ammonia levels are rising rapidly. The tank is a 20 gallon and it has been running for almost 2 months now. I have 7 tiger barbs (small) and 1 rainbow shark with 2 live plants. I have stopped feeding for 2 days now and have been doing 20% water changes every other day using Topfin's water conditioner only on the new water going into the tank as well as using API's Ammo Lock every 2 days on the full tank. Despite all of this the ammonia level is still increasing and I am lost for words on what is causing this.
Is this tank cycled? Are you using carbon filtration?
Also, I suggest removing the shark. A rainbow shark can't fit in a 20 gallon tank, it needs at least 30, and they are very aggressive and will terrorise or kill the smaller fish. They will thrive if they have 55 gallons or more.

Last edited:
my guess is those fish are starting to out grow the tank and are overloading the bio-filter, as both need a bigger tank (at least 50 gallons for the red tailed shark, and 30 gallons for the tiger barbs).

Yes the tank is cycled and its mechanical filtration. The shark isn't at all aggressive and actually schools with the barbs weirdly.

Yes the tank is cycled and its mechanical filtration. The shark isn't at all aggressive and actually schools with the barbs weirdly.
He's still small, and should start attacking them sooner or later. It comes with age and sexual maturity, much like bala sharks. And as said, they are starting to grow and overload the filtration capabality. Try testing you're tap water.

If anything about 2 weeks ago I rinsed my filter in a bucket from a water change not to kill any good bacteria, it was extremely dirty so I went ahead and did that if that's not it then maybe the fish actually are out growing the tank. They are pretty small though, the tigers each average only 1 inch and shark about 3 inches.

It wouldn't be the tap since I have 10 gallon with 5 guppies fully grown and about 30 fry living in a mesh until I get my 5 gallon cycled. That tank is testing fine for everything and I do 25% water changes everyday due to the fry.

It wouldn't be the tap since I have 10 gallon with 5 guppies fully grown and about 30 fry living in a mesh until I get my 5 gallon cycled. That tank is testing fine for everything and I do 25% water changes everyday due to the fry.
Is one of the plants dying? I know dying plants or dead plants are disastrous for tank conditions.

maybe you washed your filter a bit too much? if it was me id take some filter media from the 10 gallon and move it to the 20 gallon to help boost the BB in the tank, and keep doing the water changes.

the size of the fish now should be fine, however they will out grow the tank at some point so just keep that in mind. and the red tailed shark will become very aggressive in anything smaller then 55 gallons IMO

Thinking about it the leaves of one of my plants have been dying and floating often and I usually scoop them out. But most of the plant is green, just a leaf or two every other day I see floating around.

Thinking about it the leaves of one of my plants have been dying and floating often and I usually scoop them out. But most of the plant is green, just a leaf or two every other day I see floating around.
Maybe that's it, couldn't be 100% sure though:/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom