Ammonia problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slade428

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so recently I had an overstocked 5 gallon tank with 2 cory cats, 1 betta, and 1 mystery snail. Naturally, my ammonia levels were all very high. I've since dealt with the overstocking issue and moved the corys into a much larger tank, so now I just have a betta and a mystery snail in the 5 gallon. After several days and several water changes, though, the total ammonia levels have not changed. That being said, there is no free ammonia to speak of.

Any advice?

How are you measuring total vs free ammonia? Also, what filter are you using. I would say keep up with water changes and the tank will eventually cycle.

--Adeeb

I use the API freshwater master test kit and Seachem multiTest (free&total). The filter I'm using is the Tetra Whisper Micro Filter.

I've been doing daily water changes, once even twice a day, to bring to levels down, but so far no luck. The fish don't seem affected, so I'm at a loss...

The tank isn't overstocked now, is it? With only one betta and one snail in 5 gallons?

Can you post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels from the API kit? Also, have you changed your filter media? Doing so will delay your cycle. It's better to clean it so you keep the BB. Cycling can take a while, how long has this been going on?

--Adeeb

Nitrite and Nitrate are 0. Ammonia says it's huge, like around 4 ppm, but the fish don't seem affected. This has been going on for quite a while, unfortunately, but we moved the corys out of the tank over a week ago, and the levels still aren't dropping.

And yes, we did a filter change after the switch over, using a charcoal blend thats supposed to reduce ammonia.

I've been treating the water with prime and ammo-lock.

Ammonia is very toxic at those levels. Actually any ammonia in an aquarium is toxic. How long has the tank been cycled?

I'm aware of that, that's why I'm trying so hard to try and fix it. The tank hasn't ever cycled, to my knowledge, since until recently it was overstocked, which has since been fixed.

Fortunately, at least, there is no free ammonia.

It's highly unlikely that you have 4ppm and no free ammonia. At that level, I'd be doing 50% + water changes until it goes down. It might take while to cycle, you'll have to keep the ammonia in check until then.

As for changing the filter media, doing so will remove all the beneficial bacteria that were in the filter. Try to clean the media instead. It's harder to do with a cartridge style filter. Filters that use sponges are usually easier to clean.

--Adeeb

It's highly unlikely that you have 4ppm and no free ammonia. At that level, I'd be doing 50% + water changes until it goes down. It might take while to cycle, you'll have to keep the ammonia in check until then.

As for changing the filter media, doing so will remove all the beneficial bacteria that were in the filter. Try to clean the media instead. It's harder to do with a cartridge style filter. Filters that use sponges are usually easier to clean.

--Adeeb

Well, at least the Seachem test said I had no free ammonia. Is it possible I'm getting false ammonia readings from using prime and ammo-lock? I've been doing 50% water changes daily to try and get these levels down.

Prime might be it. It temporarily binds ammonia(for ~24hrs), making it harmless. So yeah, you wouldn't have free ammonia then.

--Adeeb

Prime might be it. It temporarily binds ammonia(for ~24hrs), making it harmless. So yeah, you wouldn't have free ammonia then.

--Adeeb

So that keeps the water safe for the fish (despite what the api test says) until the next water change, until the levels eventually go down? Sorry for basic questions, I'm fairly new to all of this.

If you are using prime with daily water changes you don't need the ammo loc. The prime will detoxify the ammonia and when you start into nitrites during your cycle it will also detoxify the nitrites.
The ammo loc will give you ammonia readings for up to 48 hrs after it has been added. The prime only last for 24 hrs so you get a more accurate reading if you do water changes daily around the same time every day.
The ammonia loc type of charcoal that is in your filter can also give false readings on the API test kit.
With only the beta and a snail in the tank you should only need to clean the filter media once a month, just rinse it out in used tank water during one of your water changes.

Have you tested your tap water? Sometimes you will have some ammonia readings in your tap water.

If you are using prime with daily water changes you don't need the ammo loc. The prime will detoxify the ammonia and when you start into nitrites during your cycle it will also detoxify the nitrites.
The ammo loc will give you ammonia readings for up to 48 hrs after it has been added. The prime only last for 24 hrs so you get a more accurate reading if you do water changes daily around the same time every day.
The ammonia loc type of charcoal that is in your filter can also give false readings on the API test kit.
With only the beta and a snail in the tank you should only need to clean the filter media once a month, just rinse it out in used tank water during one of your water changes.

Have you tested your tap water? Sometimes you will have some ammonia readings in your tap water.

Cool, so no more ammo-lock. Is there ever a reason for ammo-lock, or does using Prime make it completely unnecessary?

There is a small amount of ammonia in my tap water (more than zero, less than .25 ppm). Is there anything I can do about that, or will the bacteria take care of that when the tank is eventually cycled?

slade428 said:
Cool, so no more ammo-lock. Is there ever a reason for ammo-lock, or does using Prime make it completely unnecessary?

There is a small amount of ammonia in my tap water (more than zero, less than .25 ppm). Is there anything I can do about that, or will the bacteria take care of that when the tank is eventually cycled?

Yes if you are using prime the ammo loc is not needed and as far as the small amount in your tap water you are correct after your tank is fully cycled the beneficial bacteria will take care of it, just continue using prime with all water changes it will detoxify the small amount of ammonia in the tap till the BB can take care of it.
Your tank is well under way with its cycle you just have to be patient. Once you get thru the cycle it gets easier, all tho I found my self in such a routine of changing water it was hard to get use to just sitting down and enjoying my fish.

Back
Top Bottom