ammonia sky high... help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just recieved my master test kit... not a moment to soon.. Test for Nitrites came back .25 Nitrates 0 Ammonia 2 ppm.. defenantly has been here since ive had the tank. Ive added a live plant to the mix.. and used some ammonia lock.. anybody have any ideas on keeping it down?

tank has cycles for roughtly a month+ now.. so

You need to keep doing partial water changes until the tank is fully cycled (i.e. ammonia readings of zero). I'd start with a 50% change right now and keep doing 50% changes (once per day) until you get the ammonia down to around 0.5 ppm. That's about as high as you want (presuming you have some fish in there!)

If you are doing a fishless cycle, then ammonia of 2.0 ppm is fine, and there is nothing you need to do right now other than to continue to monitor things.

this is after a pwc last night about 2 am lol. im going to test my water.. and give you guys the reading from that in about 10 min

well the only pwc ill be doing is going to walmart and getting drinking water... my tap water blows to say the least. tap is comming out with 1.5 ppm lol

defenantly have 7 fish and about 5 shrimp in it lol

Ouch. I'd be most worried about the shrimp--they would likely be the first things to go. (And to be honest, I'm a little surprised they are still alive if they have been in water that has 2.0+ ppm ammonia!)

And I know it's too late now, but for future reference, that is too high of a bioload to (really safely) do a fish-in cycle, unless you have just a monster tank (75 gallons plus). IMO, and this is just from my own experience, a good rule of thumb is 1 (or at most 2, if they are very very small) fish for every 10 gallons while cycling. This will keep the ammonia concentration growing slowly enough that they don't suddenly spike to toxic levels too quickly for you to realize & react to it.

read my post above.. its comming out of tap at 1.5 roflmao

guess i get to go get 20 gallons of water from walmart >.<

anything i can do to remedy the problem? i just checked again.. the ammonia lock stuff isnt doing anything. been close to half an hour.

Use ammonia lock products to neutralize the ammonia. Make sure you are dosing enough to lock up all the ammonia in your water source (exe. Prime will lock up .8ppm/dose so if your tap water is at 1.5 you need to use two doses of Prime). Then trust your math skills because the test kits will still register the ammonia in the water even though it's been converted to a non-toxic form. Once your tank is cycled, the bacteria will remove the non-toxic form of ammonia just as it would the toxic form. Else, you can buy ammonia blocks from a LFS that will remove the locked-up ammonia. HOWEVER, these also might prevent your tank from cycling.

Another thing you can do is a 'silent cycle' (do a search of the forum to find info) which basically means adding a bunch of live plants to your tank. The live plants will help remove the ammonia too (if I remember right).

BTW: I read somewhere that if you have high levels of ammonia in your tap water (I do too) that it means your water source is treated with chloramine instead of chlorine.

it is better use use something like ammo lock.

you need to keep ammonia in the tank for the bacteria to grow that you need, if you keep doing water changes then your bacteria colony will not grow. and you will waste money on salt and chemicals for new water.

the ammo lock will make the water safe for the fish while allowing the ammonia to say in the tank for the bacteria to eat and multiply.

this is what i use to treat spikes, should one ever happen again.

img_892251_0_481dd324aecf9ec9c49eee70e5168172.jpg

Ive used the API version of the detox in it.. the full dosage.. which i hate doing. every time ive used a full dose of something they prescribe to do, it ends up spiking the **** out of it. i just put in 5 gallons of natural spring drinking water and the water defenantly went to 4ppm. which is insane.. maybe the spring water mixed with the lock? i dont know anymore.. its starting to really tick me off though.

The api test kits still show ammonia on the test even though its been "locked up" into a harmless version.

Well figured out another problem.. If you have a chance to buy ozarca water... dont.. it has just as high if not higher ph AND ammonia than does that of my tap water lol. I went to walmart and got about 12 gallons of Spring water.. while i was there i grabbed the biggest pleco i have seen in a while.. he was close to 4 inches long lol. anyways.. if you want a cheap way to go.. 68 cents a gallon.. used 12.. so heh im lovin it roflmao. Thanks for the helps on the issue btw. brought my ph down to 6.6 also.

Now as for NitrAtes.. they went up to 5... and my nitrites died.. am i backwards.. or are they lol

And is it normal for my heater to glow red? if it has a small ammount of catch up in water temp? (2..3 degrees)

Back
Top Bottom