Ammonia won't come down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMTtony

Aquarium Advice Regular
The ammonia spiked in my 20 gal, literally a month ago. It won't come down, it stays at a 6-8ppm everyday. But what's the weirdest about it is, I have a in tank ammonia alert by seachem. The guage reads that the level of ammonia is safe, but when I use my test kit it reads high. What's the deal? I have added Stress Zyme per the directions. The only things in the tank are live plants, a large airstone, and a very big piece of driftwood (fake). I also have some plant food in the substrate, but the package says right on it that it will not raise ammonia,and is safe for all fish and aquariums. Someone please help me!!!!

First recommendation is how old is your test kit? Is it strips or liquid? You could take a sample to your lfs to check your readings. Your test kit may very well be reading your ammonia incorrectly. How often do you do pwc's? If you have no fish in the tank, there shouldn't be a source for ammonia, so I am assuming you do have some fish in the tank?

Ok if there is no fish in the tank, what are you using as an ammonia source? If you aren't using an ammonia source I would get your water tested. With no ammonia source you can't cycle a tank. And obviously with no ammonia source you can't have ammonia readings. To cycle your tank you first need ammonia, then it converts to nitrite, and eventually to nitrate, then fish can be added. Your readings don't seem possible to me.

If there are no fish in the tank PWC will lower the Ammonia.
A PWC every two days for a week should be able to remove the Ammonia completely. Really one big PWC should do it.

If the ammonia readings are correct that is true. Plants will not cause ammonia. I think the test kit is wrong and the ammonia alert is correct.

Are you cycling?
If so.....

Yeah, I can't see why you would have such large quantities of Ammonia w/ no excess waste. Check on a new drip kit and do a couple water changes just to be on the safe side. Too much Ammonia will screw up your cycle if you are in fact cycling. So just as a precautionary do a PWC.

This whole thing has been a total mystery to me, I'll mess with it tomorrow, it's getting to late tonight to do anything.

OK, here we go. Did a 5 gal PWC this morning in the 20 gal. Ammonia reading of 4.0ppm :evil: Yet the in tank monitor is reading 'safe' for the level. I'm guessing my test kit has gone bad :?:

I agree - the test kit could have gone bad.

Another possibility: Some water companies add chloramine to the tapwater along with chlorine. Chloramine is a combination of ammonia and chlorine. What do you use as a dechlorinator? If you are not also removing chloramines, you may see an ammonia reading. Your dechlorinator must say it removes chloramine. It does this by breaking apart the chlorine-ammonia molecule and neutralizing it. If you are only removing chlorine, you are not removing the chloramine, and therefore you may get an ammonia reading.

Here's a link: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_chlorine.htm

I'm using AquaSafe. It says it removes chlorine, chloramine, etc. It will be a few days before I can go to the LFS to get them check it. I'm back to work in the morning for 3 straight days.

Let us know once your lfs tests. I am sure that since you have no ammonia source your ammonia can't be that high.

Back
Top Bottom