Ammonia wont go away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it a mini cycle or a cycle..I thought your tank was still cycling. By the look of your nitrates, it seems you are cycling and not in a mini cycle.

IMO your tank is overstocked.

who knows!!!! many ppl on here have told me its a mini cycle bcuz i replaced my filter after 30 days and did extensive cleaning. i didnt know about cycling when i began this tank. according to aqdivisor im only at 67% stock. i know its a guessing game but- i have also asked that question on a different thread(which i think you commented on) and most ppl dont think i am//but just to remember im very new and am only taking advice from ppl on here as i would be clueless otherwise!:)

The fact that AqAdvisor isn't pointing that you have fish not suitable for your tank in your tank, would be a perfect example of why it is a completely inaccurate program. If it thinks that fish that potenitally reach 5" and poop constantly aren't overstocking a 20 gallon with standard HOB filtration than I give it even less credit then I did to begin with.

Well if it's lasting a month it isn't mini. A fish-in cycle takes a really long time, so if you did all this cleaning and everything only 1 month in, I'm pretty sure it wasn't cycled yet. Of course you may have started it over, but it's not as though it had completed. So you are still cycling. Have you ever seen nitrites?

I have not seen nitrites.. however- ive only had the master test kit for a short time(another valuable piece of advice i have recieved from everyone on here) so- in the last 2 weeks i have had no nitrites at least ...what does that mean? aqadvisor does say i have inadequete filtration though..so i am buying a new filter soon..

I cycled with my fish in, too and I had the same problem as you except it was the nitrites that spiked and stayed forever! I just did 50% WC every day and sometimes more often than that through the ammonia and nitrites spikes. My tank is over 2 months old and has finally cycled! Just keep up the water changes and you'll get there! I also added Prime to my water as well and my fish seemed perfectly happy throughout the entire cycle.

I cycled with my fish in, too and I had the same problem as you except it was the nitrites that spiked and stayed forever! I just did 50% WC every day and sometimes more often than that through the ammonia and nitrites spikes. My tank is over 2 months old and has finally cycled! Just keep up the water changes and you'll get there! I also added Prime to my water as well and my fish seemed perfectly happy throughout the entire cycle.

what is prime? is that like stress zyme? ive been adding that too..but now im wondering if thats a bad idea. :facepalm:

You really aren't doing yourself any favors by adding extra stuff. It's clearly not helping, and could be hurting.

Prime is dechlorinator, the best there is IMO, and it can also be added to tank to temporarily detoxify ammo and nitrite.

No nitrites yet = a long road ahead still.

I'm sure in one of these threads somewhere we've been over this, but can you get some filter media from someone? You know anyone else with tanks?

ugh! not sure i can keep this up! no more stress zyme then. so- i guess i just keep up with the pwc and just hope i dont give up before then. i know! i feel like weve gone over this a few times as well. i dont know anyone else with tanks.

Hello Missie,

Did you figure out the check valve ?
You can blow into it if your not sure which way it goes. The end that gives you resistance when blowing connects to the airline with the stone.

How big is the tank again? Investing a few $'s in a Python or Aqueon water changer can be a life saver. I can do a 50% pwc in under 10 minutes on my 48 gallon.

python is a must-have. Or any water changing system (python is just the name of one, there are many others), its a hose that hooks up to a sink faucet, it does all the draining and filling.

As far as the ammonia goes, I'd do every other day water changes and condition the water with Prime water conditioner or Amquel+. Don't bother with the stresszyme. It sounds like you are already on the right track with the water changes.

Prime will help detoxify the ammonia/nitrites for 24-48 hours.

A gravel vac is a must have, a python is a pretty big investment for a 20 gal tank. A python is a must have for larger tanks where it's not realistic to haul buckets back and forth all day.

I agree a Python is a tiny bit of overkill for a 20 gallon, but I couldn't live without mine. As I said before, I can do a 50% pwc in my 48 gallon in 5-10 minutes. I got mine here for $29- http://www.tricker.com/prod-p-python I don't know AA's policy on advertising, so sorry if I'm violating policy.

There's a little different method for dechlorinating if you get one, so ask here and we'll talk you through it.

I'm sure in one of these threads somewhere we've been over this, but can you get some filter media from someone? You know anyone else with tanks?

Agreed. I should have mentioned this!! I used some filter media from a friends' cycled tank and it really helped boost my cycle along. Is there anywhere you could get some?

i have a gravel vac... just started using it the other day.. as far as a python thing... so i should not get it for my 20 gallon? i must get some prime!:) i have been using the brand of water conditioner called aqeuon the same brand as my tank.

missie said:
i have a gravel vac... just started using it the other day.. as far as a python thing... so i should not get it for my 20 gallon? i must get some prime!:) i have been using the brand of water conditioner called aqeuon the same brand as my tank.

Some people would say it's overkill and not necessary for a 20 gallon, but for me, not having to haul buckets is priceless. One of the concerns people have with Pythons is that they remove water too quickly and dont give you enough cleaning time with it's gravel vac, but you can adjust the flow to syphon the water out either faster or slower. Since I got mine, I couldn't imagine life without it.

hmm.... i may have to invest in one.. it seems im going to be hauling buckets daily for quite some time...and i gotta tell ya my back is getting sore...

Back
Top Bottom