Ammono shrimp and betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I had an Amano shrimp, the betts was super interested and chased it but it was to fast. It died because it went into my filter engine. I now have a bubble filter, coconut cave, java fern, anaibus, and Christmas moss, but it doesn’t float it sinks. Anyway, he’s also sharing the 10 gallon with ember tetras that he tried to chase at first as well but doesn’t now. A pet store owener told me that if he can’t catch tiny fish his aggression goes away. Do you think he’s still try to kill my shrimp after the initial introduction? I was thinking of getting two for algae and also to eat any snails that did and keep my tank healthy. Also, I have a whole at top of my glass tank where a typical hang on filter would go, now I have the bubble filter. Any recommendations to covering this to be shrimp safe as they’re escape artists.

A Betta eats things like shrimp as their normal diet. It would be surprising that it does not want to eat a shrimp. They will bite at them, and hunt them.

The Bettas can skinny into very thin places and I have seen one slide under a tank divider to get the other Betta. So possibly very determined if they want to be.

The constant chasing around can cause stress and death. A strong healthy shrimp shouldn't get caught in an intake. They can crawl in there though to eat stuff and explore

Also if you have an open intake it is safer to use a prefilter sponge.

Is the tank matured/cycled? If you aren't very familiar about the nitrification cycle, my signature has an article link at the bottom about tank keeping. Very useful info.

Adult Amano shrimp will be too big for the betta to eat, he may chase them for a while but will likely lose interest once he realizes he can't catch them or they are too big. You can get some live plants or little shrimp caves for them to hide in, in case the betta proves persistent ;) Also, I'd get more than 2. These shrimp are social creatures, the more you have, the more active and confident they'll be. I wouldn't get fewer than 5.

Back
Top Bottom