Amquel and the API Master kits questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diogenes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have been dechlorinating using amquel. I also use an API freshwater master kit to test my water. Prior to using amquel my NH4=0ppm, NO3=5ppm, NO2=0ppm, ph=6.0. After using it my test results are always (with the exception of a slight mini-cycle when i stocked my tank which is now gone):

NH4=.25, NO3=5ppm, and NO2=0. Ph=6.0

I have been told that the way some of the liquid reagents test NH4 is by increasing the ph in the test tube to 12-14 and that at that level of alkalinty bonded (but biologically usable) NH4 becomes free NH4 and will give a false test with Nessler's and salicylic reagents based water tests. I have searched the web in an effort to determine exactly what kind of reagents are used in the API kit but I can't seem to locate that info. So I'm wondering does Amquel cause false NH4 readings?

BTW I do a daily 5 gallon water change (37g tank.) I have a good and dirty filter, biowheel, and I only vacuum the gravel when it starts to get really nasty (like maybe once every other month) and even then I will do it in sections so that i never wipe out the bacteria on my substrate all at once.

Thanks

-C

If you go on Amquel's web site it has a disclaimer some where on there about how it effects certain test kits. It gives you more specifics about what kind of kits it effects which you can then check with the API web site and see if it has the chemical that the amquel throws off. I'm pretty sure API was one of the kits that it causes false readings in.

You are reading the chloramines in the water (an added disinfectant).

Chloramines + dechlorinator = NH3 + chlorine.

Both the NH3 & Cl are bound to the dechlor so are harmless. The NH3 (actually NH4 when bound) will be removed by your bio-filter even when bound.

The FW test kit is a Nessler test, and will read the bound ammonia. If you want an accurate reading, you can use a SW test .... but it really isn't necessary .... Just test your water before your pwc.

thanks so much guys. I found my favorite angelfish dead this morning and I have seriously been stressing about the water quality. I haven't been at this very long. I think I overstocked my tank and the bolvian rams have been bullying him. I gotta get some of these guys out of here.

Anybody want some previously loved BR rams in the DC area? I've got five in a 37 and I am going to get rid of 3 i think and just keep the burgeoning mating pair.

Anybody want some previously loved BR rams in the DC area? I've got five in a 37 and I am going to get rid of 3 i think and just keep the burgeoning mating pair.

Post this in the buy/sell/trade/barter forums & you might get better response.

Back
Top Bottom