An Epidemic in my LFS. Lets help the poor fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamo87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I'm writing this post because I'm really concern about the bad conditions in my local pet store. Every time I go there, -5-6 out of 12 tanks are diseased and the poor fish suffer. I've seen this situation many times and I always tell the staff or the manager that they have a problem. I went there yesterday and saw the same think(a probable combination of ich, and fungus and may be something else in 7 tanks!!!), I told the manager again and he just picked 3 kinds of medicine and just put a couple of spoons in each tank without actually knowing what kind of disease he's dealing with, and without mesuring the amount of medicine he puts into the tanks...e.i. he just threw some stuff in the tank without any idea of anything!!!! I couldn't believe what he did and after all in a couple of minutes he sold 4 diseased fish to a lady.
My question is: Where can I report the problem? I just don't want to see the poor fish suffering any more.
Thank you in advance!!!
All my best, Kamen

If it was a dog or cat the ASPCA and any local animal control would be all over it but sadly it seems not many people care that much about fish.

i wish. there's a woman that comes into my store once every couple weeks and feels she needs to change out the water in my betta cups and feed them. i change their water ever other day and they get 2 pellets every other day. i've explained to her my maintenance regimen, i've told her that i can't have people putting their hands in my fish tanks due to possible contamination, i've had my store manager talk to this woman, i've had security talk to her and walk her out and i /still/ see her in there by my bettas every once in a while. but she runs when she sees me now

I doubt there is anything you can do unless you go up the chain of command, which probably won't work either.

I tracked down a phone number for the NYS Animal Division under the Dept of Ag...(518-457-3502

BUT, There is better news, you can also potentially go after the store under the guise of the

New York State Attorney General’s Office, Consumer Fraud and Protection Division or call 1-800-771-7755 Here's the link...http://www.oag.state.ny.us/

or

Better Business Bureau (BBB) Here's the link... Start With Trust -- Start With BBB

or even

USDA, For Licensure of Exotics, Call 919-855-7100

There's always a way to get some action. Don't give up. I think you can make some changes. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. When I get in touch with them I'm gonna let you know whatever happens.

Thank you all!!!

Which entity did you make a complaint with? Because you could go to all of them. The more the merrier (and the more likely you'll get them to change their ways).

Back
Top Bottom