Anacharis Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rare

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I never owned any water plants but i'm very impressed how fast Anacharis roots grow their roots & their growth as well. These plants are for my freshwater refugium just something i wanted to do for my 130g cichlid aquarium. My tanks has been cycled & have high nitrates and and that has helped them & leaving the light on 8+ hrs a day as well anyways.... Just got them last week on Sunday

My question is where do I cut them to start a new plant or it doesnt matter? Above the new roots below?

Here is a 3.5 days of how fast their roots grow for others

img2755iu.jpg

img2757h.jpg

img2758gn.jpg

img2775h.jpg

Anacharis is pretty tough unless you get it too warm or use liquid carbon, which will melt them. You can cut them about any where and replant the tops. I'd leave about 4" on the bottom. Many times the bottom will put on side shoots after cutting. OS.

Thank, Old Scales! These roots are just popping out everywhere. What is up with this hair on them? Part of the plant i take it...

img2777qp.jpg

img2776rq.jpg

img2778x.jpg

img2779wc.jpg

Yeah, hair algae. Try lights on for only 6 hours. The white roots are called adventitious roots and are normal. How stocked is your tank? Algae can grow from a lack of fertilizer, macro & micro as well as too much. Read through this planted tank thread on topics about algae and you will find a LOT of information. Good Luck, OS.

I'm setting it up as an African cichlid tank & these plants are part of the refugium that's going in once I get it setup. (if) The lights I see are way too strong they are T5HO 39watts 12kk & 3 actinic lights (not running) these were part of a reef system when i bought this whole setup & had them running about 8+ hrs a day & will cut way back for the time...( tks! JRMagno) I will get the right light fixture when they go under the tank in their refugium. I got a hand full of Anacharis Plants & a few Water Sprite which are also growing.

No fert use only been dosing with ammonia for the fishless cycle & the tank is now cycled & nitrate are over 80ppm. I havent done any water change since I started the fishless cycled. I'm over stocking this tank and ammonia dosing right now at 10ml every 24hrs & when done will be dosing to 24+ ml for a 5ppm/6ppm bio-load. The lights were never on when cycling, but the driftwood has white hair. Must be the high dosing of Ammonia and now high Nitrate in the water. I will read through this planted tank threads as well...tks OC! Anymore useful info will be appreciated on this little quest

img2739ex.jpg

One light fixture on top & running. Never put the 2nd one up.
img1977rg.jpg

img1477g.jpg

The good nitrate lvls are good for our orchid plants :D
img2762z.jpg

LOL yeah I use my old tank water from PWC's on my wife's patio plants and roses. They love the rich fish water. With an A. Cichlid tank's hard water, anacharis is a great choice as it likes hard water. Since you are cycling and with a new tank you will have all kinds of "strange" growths. You probably know that already. It may take as long as 4 months for everything to settle down. Good luck! Keep us updated. OS.

Back
Top Bottom