Anacharis question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vespasianus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm sorry if this was posted elsewhere before but I've always have this doubt. From you guy's experience, where does the anacharis plant thrive better, anchored to the gravel like a normal plant or left floating in the water? I ask cause in my previous tanks I left it floating and for some reason it shed leaves like crazy this way and it was hard keeping it green without ferts, so I don't know if leaving it floating was a factor. Thanks.

I'm sorry if this was posted elsewhere before but I've always have this doubt. From you guy's experience, where does the anacharis plant thrive better, anchored to the gravel like a normal plant or left floating in the water? I ask cause in my previous tanks I left it floating and for some reason it shed leaves like crazy this way and it was hard keeping it green without ferts, so I don't know if leaving it floating was a factor. Thanks.

The key is brighter lighting. If planted, make sure you have good lighting that reaches the bottom of the tank. If left floating, should be okay as long as you prune and keep good lighting.
Also, there are a few varieties of Anacharis available and not all do well in all situations. Although listed as a tropical plant, I would consider it more a sub-tropical plant as it does not do as well in water over 80 degrees. Maybe this had something to do with your experience before? For what it's worth, I let mine float.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks man. I guess where I live has a lot to do with it as most of the year it's so hot here, I don't even need heaters for my tanks! And in all the LFS which all have air conditioning they are a lot greener.

Do some research and try more "heat tolerant" plants. Find plants that are growing locally out in the waters there ( BTW, I loved when I was there) so you know what to get. If you take any wild plants tho, keep them in a separate tank (as a quarentine) for a while so that any snails eggs can hatch or parasites can starve off.
Hope this helps

How long should one quarantine live plants? Should this be done with any live plants purchased at LFS or online?
Edit: Oops. Old thread. I'll open a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom