Anacharis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,
I bought some Anacharis and it's growing well, but I was wondering what the best way to prune it would be. It's almost at the top of my tank and I just planted it a week or so ago. I would like it to get bushy, not just tall and spindley.

Thanks-D

Do you have any roots coming out of the side of the plant? I usually try to cut it about there. Even if you don't you can usually cut it about half way and just replant the cutting. I have personally noticed that mine has the tendency to do that to but when it grows just cut and replant the plant should send off two new shoots. and the addition of the cuttings will also help it get that lush look you are looking for.

Do you have any roots coming out of the side of the plant? I usually try to cut it about there. Even if you don't you can usually cut it about half way and just replant the cutting. I have personally noticed that mine has the tendency to do that to but when it grows just cut and replant the plant should send off two new shoots. and the addition of the cuttings will also help it get that lush look you are looking for.

Great, thanks!

Agreed. Most stem plants work this way and is a good way to keep propogating the plant and getting more and more. Just try to push the new cutting about 1" deep into the substrate.

Hello Dream...

You can trim it just underneath one of the long roots. The Common water weed or Brazilian water weed as it's sometimes called, will grow well planted or floated. I float it in my Livebearer tanks. The thicker the growth, the higher the fry survival rate and the more comfortable the females are in the tank.

B

Hello Dream...

You can trim it just underneath one of the long roots. The Common water weed or Brazilian water weed as it's sometimes called, will grow well planted or floated. I float it in my Livebearer tanks. The thicker the growth, the higher the fry survival rate and the more comfortable the females are in the tank.

B

Thanks for the help. They're really growing quickly!

I have found that after I trim mine, I let it float for a week, and it somehow speeds up its growth and beauty a little, IDK

No they aren't root feeders, they are a very hardy plant, don't know how that happens, but it does

No they aren't root feeders, they are a very hardy plant, don't know how that happens, but it does

I had a wisteria for awhile and I know that was a root feeder. I finally had to get rid of it because, like my chain swords, the older leaves would turn brown and look yucky. I think it may be my well water. My water parameters are perfect, and my fish do great, but certain plants will get brown stuff on them that I can't get off. It's not BBA, which I had thought at first. I just think it's something to do with my water.

I definitely need to trim and then replant the trimmings of the Anacharis though today.

Thanks-D

Back
Top Bottom