Anachris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straick

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got some new anachris(figure I'll give it a second shot, this time with two different varieties), and the one with the little thin leaves has small root coming out halway up some of the plants. When I got it, it was in a bundle, and I seperated it out so that it wouldn't be crowded.
Also, is it normal for the stems to start to turn a brownish color? Last time, they turned clear on me, and I've been checking daily to make sure that they aren't doing that one again.
Thanks.

straick said:
I just got some new anachris(figure I'll give it a second shot, this time with two different varieties), and the one with the little thin leaves has small root coming out halway up some of the plants. When I got it, it was in a bundle, and I seperated it out so that it wouldn't be crowded.
Also, is it normal for the stems to start to turn a brownish color? Last time, they turned clear on me, and I've been checking daily to make sure that they aren't doing that one again.
Thanks.

I get the regular anacharis and the only time I have to replace it is when my Moors shread it apart lol. Are you using flourish excel with it? If so, it'll melt anacharis and vals, I get around it by mixing the FE in a gallon jug first and have no melt issues.

Just using regular Flourish. The carbon is coming from DIY CO2(at least until I get a compressed CO2 setup).
The brown in the stems looks almost woody.
The last batch of anachris turned clear and mushy. That took quite a bit of time to get out of the tank.

The bottom starts to turn brown as new stems start to grow closer to the light.

Healthy anacharis is completely green. What light are you using? Anacharis grows like a weed once you cross a certain light threshold, but it struggles below that threshold. It's really not a demanding plant. I've got it growing three feet long in a 5g under a 24W CFL with no ferts and only RCS and snails in the tank.

In my experience, the stems turn brown if another plan starts growing from the stem, but if you pop the other growth off and replant it, the original stem turns green again.

Lighting is a 36 watt PL lamp. I'll have to try the one of popping the top off.

I've never had the narrow leaf (najas) anacharis melt with Flourish Excel. Bleach dips didn't kill it like they did the densa either. Seems much harder to kill and in my experience, grows just as fast.

Back
Top Bottom