andrews 20 g reef transition build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I smell upgrade. That was fast bro

lol well my girlfriend doesn't want me to set up the 75 i get from my dad, until we get our own place. which i completely understand because i have 8 tanks already and its not my house lol. but i'm still going to buy it, and keep it at my moms place. so in november i will have my own refracto and RODI station from my dad, and the 75 g, stand, dual t5hos that i plan on using for a fw planted, sump with all pumps and overflow boxes, and 80 lbs of rock. the refracto is a nice one that he paid 150 for and making my own water will definitely save me a lot of $$$$. I'm thinking of doing the 29 a mixed reef, with higher light corals in the middle and medium/lower light coral spreading from the outside. does this sound feasible? since the lights are suppose to cover 24" and a 29 is 30". i also don't want these two clowns to be in a 20 for very long, so i might as well put them in a 29 right? how does this stock sound? one black oc, one regular oc, one goby/pistol shrimp pair, 5 blue legged hermits, two halloween hermits, 5-10 snails(still undecided) and an assortment of coral.

I also got led lights exactly like those except I got two for my 40 gallon.

Upgrading is all you are going to want to do....let's see I started out with a ten, then 20 then I thought a 29 sounded good and now I am spending the extra cash to upgrade to a 40b. The reason that I kept upgrading is because it really only does take one day even a few hours for a small tank to start going down hill. My ten gallon nano worked great for 6 months and then I upgraded that to a 20 and it lasted only 1 month after cycling. Which I didn't get. Just go for the upgrade and I would also recommend a skimmer because even if you do change your water weekly their is a slight bit of waste build up during the week. In my ten gallon I would do a 10% WC weekly and my Eshopps protein skimmer would still remove tea colored gunk.

Also any coral ideas yet... Softy, LPS or possibly some SPS? because I think the lighting could be strong enough to keep so,e types of SPS (maybe others could correct me). But for those corrals you would definitely need a quality protein skimmer.

Love the thread so far been following since the beginning just never thought of something to post.

thanks nicco! yeah i started cycling a 5.5, going to do a pico reef, but i live in the basement at about 63-65 degrees and the water evap was ridiculous!! its still pretty bad now, at about 1/2-3/4 of a gallon per day in the 20 gallon. which only has 16 gallons, due to water displacement from rock and sand. i think i am going to switch everything to the 29 tomorrow :) it might be the next day though, because i will be switching the crushed coral/aragonite to a very fine sand. i think i am going to put a pvc tube in for the goby/pistol shrimp. I'm thinking of doing some sps on top, some lps in the middle and some zoas and palys middle to bottom.

:D the clowns are hugging and won't stay away from each other!! i think they are already pairing!!!
img_2658626_0_3dfc3ede1dd3c8faa93597d08f0aa12d.jpg

:D the clowns are hugging and won't stay away from each other!! i think they are already pairing!!! [/QUOTE

Ya they kick a**, that was the only reason I got into it, cute little clown fish. Before I knew it I hade 8!! Cut it down to 5 :)

lol that was pretty weird. i'm contemplating making my own HOB refugium, so i can make it 30 inches long. how many gallons should i make it, without putting too much stress on the sides?

I have a CPR Aquafuge that was on my 30 gal tank. The 5 gal cap made me nervous hanging almost 50lbs on the back glass, so I supported it from below to the correct hieght. no weight on the glass meant I didn't sweat so much. That's what I'd recommend. I'm not so sure how much weight those tanks are "rated" to hold.

whoa whats going on with these posts? lol. having more than one pair of clowns is only advised if you have a massive tank. some people have had luck with groups of true percula clowns

That's what I thought. On pair per tank. :) Thanks
Why is that?? These guys have been together for 2 years now?? There was more. Is not a maroon, them ya, 2 per tank, and at the same time. I had one maroon and couldn't pair him up! He just beat every new maroon I tried to pair him up with, on the end my anemone ate him!!! :(

Attachments

• image-2880952600.jpg
    image-2880952600.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 70
Why is that?? These guys have been together for 2 years now?? There was more. Is not a maroon, them ya, 2 per tank, and at the same time. I had one maroon and couldn't pair him up! He just beat every new maroon I tried to pair him up with, on the end my anemone ate him!!! :(

That's what I want. A tank of clowns. They are so cute

How big is your tank?

for my uprgrade..... i have my tank, sitting on a chest that my grandfather carved from hand. it looks pretty sweet imo and means a lot to me. it perfectly fits the 30" for a 29 gallon. so questions for transferring everything; my tank is completely cycled, if i add another 15-20 lbs of DRY rock, will it still go through a cycle? i am also going to be mounting the lights, coming up from the chest. Im dosing to 4ppm every other day right now, to keep the BB going, but it finished cycling about a week ago. i was really tempted to add some coral today, but i knew i would be transferring everything, and didn't want to put stress on anything.....lol good fishkeeping ;) also got some of my scream town costume!!!! woooo. so, how long should i wait, after transferring about 25-28 lbs of live rock and 15-20 of dry rock to a 29 gallon, to add coral?

thats what i figured. I'm going to transfer all of the rock and water over, once i buy some new sand. what do you think of extra fine white sand? i gotta go get another timer for these lights too!! but i figured I'm not going to run these lights at all, until i'm ready to add coral so i don't have to deal with algae. I'm still debating on what kind of cleanup crew i want

here's the 29 on the chest.
img_2663607_0_f8ecd121d3e72369a6d822d1feeff149.jpg

right now I'm making a mount, that will be attached to the back of the chest. should i paint it black, or stain it?
img_2663607_1_85a96a421da78fcf4771c15598f98e89.jpg

Back
Top Bottom