Anemone help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I bought this bta of liveaquaria and it looked good when it came but then it split into 3 dif ones now it lost all of it's tips what do I do please help fast

How big is the tank? What are your water parameters?

PO4?
NO3?
NO2?
Alk?
Ca?
pH?
Temp?

How old is the tank?

What kind of lighting do you have?

What lighting schedule do you have?

How long have you had the nem(s)?

How did you accclimate it?

What else is in the tank?

What do you mean it lost all its tips. BTAs go through phases where their tentacles are short and bubbled, and then long and very thin. That is normal. I have never seen an anemone actually lose its tentacles. Im not sure that it is possible.

The issue of it splitting is odd. They split when they are happy and split when they are under duress. You need to check the water parameters and describe your lighting. How long have you had the nem before it split. Has it walked around the tank. Has is shrunk down in size. I suppose it is possible that it was in the process of splitting when it was shipped and just completed the split in your tank. In my experience, an anemone will walk around the tank looking to escape whatever is causing it stress and ultimately shrink to nothing when things arent going well for it. Since yours seemed fine and then split, it may not be any problem with your tank.

Ok so I haven't checked my parameters because everything else is fine in my tank and yes it did shrink but it's tips are like clear is this normal and I am trying to post a pic but it won't let me if someone can help from a pic PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so its apparent your nem is under duress. If the tips are turning clear, its bleaching out -the synergistic algae inside is dying. That is probably because your lighting is insufficient. You will need to provide better lighting because that is how anemones get most of their nutrition. What are you using for light, what size is your tank.

I have a 55g and I have the eBay LEDs should I turn up the light more because they are dimmable

How much more light can you add? Over the course of a week try to make the lights brighter. Too much light will be a bad thing and the nem might run away. Have you been feeding it? feed them a mysis shrimp or two each.

I have them at half full of light and I haven't fed them cuz I couldn't reach them

I don't think it's light. Some parameter is off. I don't know if your light is sufficient, but an anemone would either hide from the light if it was too intense, or move, not split in 3.
If the light was too weak, it would open wider to increase surface area exposed to the light, or move, not split.

But everything else in my tank is fine? Could it just be recovering from splitting?

I didn't think they split because of stress and my shrimp was by it he could have messed with it

Anemone split and retract due to stress. The act of splitting is an attempt of keeping their genetic code going when it believes it is in fear of dying. Though you haven't tested any parameters, I would do a water change ASAP to try to put whatever is out of whack back into line.

Ok so my tank is so messed up like water level is like 5" from the top and my hob protein skimmer doesn't work and I have been afraid to add to much water or do a water change becaus I don't wanna kill everything off. What exectly should I test for?

If you aren't adding fresh water to top off your tank, your salinity is slowly raising. You HAVE TO keep the water level as consistent as possible. I would slowly add water (over a period of days) until it's full again.
How do you expect to keep these sensitive creatures when you neglect these simple things?

Ok I test nitrates nitrites ammonia salinity I have never done a what change because it never has seemed necessary

Back
Top Bottom