Anemone ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had planned on turning my tank to marine, but not so quickly. Then things came all of a sudden - like free live rock, live sand, etc.

This is about to be my 1st saltwater tank.
~27gal 30Lx18Wx12H
I got this anemone free from a guy tearing down his tank.

Curious to know what it is and where I can get more info on it.

Any chance you can add a pic?
You may seriously want to consider taking it to a LFS because they should be kept in a stable tank with some SW keeping experience under your belt. The water chemistry takes a while to settle down and become stable.
Have you already done a fishless cycle?

Last edited:
Yeah they both came through now. It looks kinda like a Condy Anemone.
What kind of lighting do you have and how long has the tank been set up.

Last edited:
2x24wt T5 HO lighting - 1 life glo 2 bulb, 1 powerglo bulb

tank setup? um, well today. It's kinda been dumped in my lap.

Ok, how much cured LR did you put in the tank? If you got it from an established tank and have around 1.5Lbs per gallon, you might not see a cycle. If the rock was out of water for a while, you might see some die-off (possibly the condy too) and will foul the tank something fierce.
Can you give us an idea of how much cured LR, LS you have?
I don't think your lighting will enable you to keep him....Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, your best bet would be to trade it in for store credit, so it has a better chance of surviving.

Ok, how much cured LR did you put in the tank? If you got it from an established tank and have around 1.5Lbs per gallon, you might not see a cycle. If the rock was out of water for a while, you might see some die-off (possibly the condy too) and will foul the tank something fierce.
Can you give us an idea of how much cured LR, LS you have?
I don't think your lighting will enable you to keep him....Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, your best bet would be to trade it in for store credit, so it has a better chance of surviving.

I'm about to get 30-40lbs of live rock.

Lighting - that's kinda what I was wondering. I'd rather know what the lighting would support, than to have it die because I didn't have adequate amount. It'll prob end up at the LFS, and I'll get some credit.

That's the best bet for both you and your animal.
Make sure you are careful when removing him, if you tear the foot it will perish.

Last edited:
That looks like a LTA - long tentacle anemone (macrodactyla doreensis).
I suggest you take it to the lfs for store credit. Chances are slim to none it will survive in a tank that's not even setup yet. It doesn't look too good in that pic. Is it actually floating upside down?

it was attached to the side of the specimen container. but, yeh, upside down.
I managed to get ~50lbs of live rock in the tank though. I assume check for ammonia spikes tomorrow and the next days?

Back
Top Bottom