Anemone seriously hurt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
aahhhh.. My poor little dude totally had a run in with the power head last night.

I fell so bad. Somehow he managed to get sucked into the top air feed spot (Which has a cap on it). Woke up this morning to a very small fellow with some of his body hanging out the powerhead output.

Any ideas on how I can get him free or keep him alive? He seems to have perked up a little. But he has some excess skin spread out. I had killed the power head ASAP and removed the cap so he could squeak out if possible. Not too Excited about cutting him up to free him.

See Picture if it posted. Part of his lower portion is fed thru the top of the power head air feed and hanging out.

Any ideas how I can further protect the power head from doing this again? Tape I thought would be a bad idea.

I'd give him some time to see if he can free himself. Since he is damaged, I'd do a water change and keep your water as pristine and stress free as possible. He may heal himself just fine if he's not injured to bad and conditions are right. Prefilter sponges work great over the intakes of your powerheads. Anemones are notorious for getting into trouble with intake tubes. :?

Thanks Cindy! Water was just changed out Friday so it's pretty darn clean already (Did a really large one this month). New Carb's in the canister as well so it should keep him happy.

keep changing it... the PWC you did "this month" does not affect what has just been released into your water... just keep doing a good 10-20% pwc every few days. not once a week... or once a month... if you can do this it will raise the possibility that your anemone will make it...

As long as the foot is not damaged he should be OK. Keep water conditions at pristine levels

Will do!

I've 12 GAL being prepared now pre-mixing for change out this weekend. He seems ok now. But has a major WHITE portion of where the damage was done. Every day or two he shrinks down to nothing (Like 10th is size). Only done it twice, but I thought it was the end of him. Next morning he was perked up and soaking in the rays again. Most water stat's are great, but I've 40ppm on the Rate level so I'm doing some extra filtering of the water and will continue at least 6 gal every couple days. I've an algae pack of critters coming late next week for my tank so I was hoping to keep that off another couple weeks, but just can't postpone due to travelling.

Note: 55gal, 10# LR, dual 40watt powerglo, two 1140 power (Removed 420), skillter filter and Fluval Canister 204. About 6 fish, 6 hermits, 4 snails and heater (Alaska is cold).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom