Anemone Splitting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I first got it about 2 weeks ago, it looked like it started splitting. Up until this morning it didn't look like it was going to. It has been inflated and mouth shut. Now it looks like its curving in and splitting. The tentacles around the split are all deflated. But the other ones are inflated. Here's some pics. Best I could get.

When this is happening you'll see a line down the foot where it is happening at.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
The foot is buried deep in the rock,so I can't see it. However my clownfish, who isn't hosting, decided to bite the side of it and it deflated and pulled back.

And is it normal for the tentacles to have the bubble all the way on the tip? My anemone just seems to look different then everyone else's.

Your nem is bleached, It should be red or green, what kind of lighting do you have

It's defnitely not bleached. E. quadricolor comes in many colors. Mine is actually purplish with green tips when deflated and pink with green tips when inflated. And for some reason my clown tried to take a nice bite out of the side and then it kept biting at it after it deflated. Right now it's moved over to bucket to get it away from the clown. It seems to be doing ok.

there are green and there are red and a variation of the 2, they do not naturally come in many colors, shops inject dye into them, but in nature they are in that color spectrum with some highlights, I would love to see documented research that they come in many colors.

there are green and there are red and a variation of the 2, they do not naturally come in many colors, shops inject dye into them, but in nature they are in that color spectrum with some highlights, I would love to see documented research that they come in many colors.

This isn't true. My LFS has a lot of designer anemones. And I've watched a lot of them grow out and keep the coloring. He has a pretty big one that is blue and green tentacles, with hot pink tips. So you are saying purple rains, flames, Colorado sunbursts, cherry limeades and sunbursts are dyed?

Many anemones are dyed, but not all of them. I used to see it a lot with carpets. They don't do well with it however, and in many cases die. I believe it's because the dye blocks light from getting to the zooxanthellae. The anemone in question looks green to me.
Boy, they are making up silly names for just about everything for the sake of monetary gain....lol.

E. quadricolor anemones appear in a variety of morphs, including rose, orange, red, and standard green. This sea anemone can grow to be up to 30 centimetres (0.98 ft) in diameter, and obtains the majority of its energy from solar radiation via its symbiotic zooxanthellae.

A characteristic of E. quadricolor is its ability to maintain a symbiotic relationship with the clownfish, which can be "hosted" by the anemone by providing it with defence against predators and also providing some nourishment. In turn, the anemone provides the clownfish with shelter.

Back
Top Bottom