Anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspire0522

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the name of this anemone, and also what position should it be in. I had it on the sand but it moved its way up some rock. Kind of at a vert, only half its bottom is holding itself up. Thanks for any help.
oh yeah- when or if and what should it be fed

Attachments

• r6_034.jpg
    r6_034.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 113
i would say its a condy anemone (Condylactis gigantea),or a LTA .
about position of anemone, its really not what you can control, it will just run around the tank itself till it finds the right place for itself.therfore i would say just let it run around a bit. From what i have heard if it is a condy, it usually doesn't host clown fish and don't put its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab in the tank. About feeding, they take mostly any meaty food as all other anemones does.Try not to force them to eat , if it is hosting clown fish, the clown fish should take care of the feeding most of the time. HTH

hey thanks alot... it was a gift so i was not there to ask my lfs.
im not sure if i should ask this here or start another topic, can a true percula and a yellowstripe maroon clown pair up? Thanks again

first is it really that white as in the pic? hope its not bleached
2nd depend on the size of your tank, putting 2 different kind of clown fish in the same tank sometime can be quite hard since they are very tertorial.(Especially maroon)
I have a 75g and my clarkii is chasing the 2 true pecula around the tank like crazy even after i put the clarkii in a seperate tank alone for 1 week to cool him down.So in my case i will choose not to put them in the same tank unless u really like to watch one of the fish being harass.

well its not that white... the base is a real soft orange/pink color and the top is purple and white. Looking at the picture now i can see where the colors dont show. How big will this get to be?
Both clowns are new to the tank and seem to be doing fine. The maroon came with the anemone and has not left it since i have had it. It will allow the percula to come up to the anemone but wont let him swim in it.

Definately a Macrodactyla doreensis (LTA). It does show some signs of bleaching but that can be quite common during the collection/shipping process.

What type of lighting do you have? Tank size/depth?

Cheers
Steve

Why would they bleach? Is it bad?
10g tank about a foot in depth... ( for now ) CoraLife Mini
10p lr
10p ls

Color of anemones fades if they are not receiving enough lighting.

Kinna like my carpet is right now. :(

well i just got it two days ago. Thats the color it came with. Is it really that bad in the picture?

Color loss is primarily from lack of light but also stress. When you consider what most animals go through from collection to final destination, it's pretty stressful.

A 10 gal tank is not going to keep this species happy for long. You will be rather unpleasantly suprised how big they get. With a 10 gal, there are actually no hosting species you'll have much luck with long term. A small BTA might fair so so for a time but I think it would be pushing it.

If your "CoraLife Mini" is the 2x9w PC, it will not sustain this species. They require a fair amount more for that tank depth.

Cheers
Steve

hey thanks for the info steve, i have a 30gal that is also a sw tank but fish only. My plan is to move everything over to the 30gal once i have the right lighting for my lr and anemone. Any idea as to what light would be good for that size tank.

Is it possible for two different species of clowns to pair up?

One day my 140gal will be sw.... when money starts to grow on trees (=
Thanks again.

inspire0522 said:
hey thanks for the info steve, i have a 30gal that is also a sw tank but fish only. My plan is to move everything over to the 30gal once i have the right lighting for my lr and anemone. Any idea as to what light would be good for that size tank.
Depth being your main consideration, a 2x96w PC would be the best. LTA's typically stick to the lower regions of the tank so you need more light penetration. You'll get a bit of an overhang with a 36" light strip but it will work very well.
Unless you have the budget for a 250w MH ?

Is it possible for two different species of clowns to pair up?
Ocellaris and percs will but not what you suggested earlier. They would kill each other.

Cheers
Steve

agree with steve, the only reason i said it might be a condy cuz they do get raelly light color sometimes, but since everyone else saying its LTA, then yeah, 10g is way too small, It might even die within few weeks if you do not do something fast.Maybe you can bring it back to LFS till its condiction gets better and grab a new tank at the same time?

that picture was taken the next day after i got it from my lfs. So was it sick already? Would it be the lighting thats going to make the diff. because as of now if you look at the size to tank ratio it really is not that big.
sorry for asking so many questions i just really want to understand... i am going to get new lights soon and move it over to the 30gal (next week).
anything i can do now? natural light? move it closser to the light?
thanks again

inspire0522 said:
that picture was taken the next day after i got it from my lfs. So was it sick already?
Yes, it would have been like that when the LFS got it. It's not something you have done, simpley a result of what it's been through before you purchased it.

Would it be the lighting thats going to make the diff. because as of now if you look at the size to tank ratio it really is not that big.
i am going to get new lights soon and move it over to the 30gal (next week).
anything i can do now? natural light? move it closser to the light?
How long has the 30 gal been set up? Moving it over there with a light upgrade is the best option.

Natural light will not do and manipulating the anemones position within the 10 gal will only stress the animal further. Do you have any unused light strips?

Cheers
Steve

i have two 20w lights that i have for my fw tank that im not using. would that help at all?
the 30gal has been up for about 4weeks.
thanks again

Yes it would help but you still have the problem of tank size. The 30 gal will not be a suitable switch for several month yet so you are actually still quite iffy, I'd hoped the 30 was much futher along.

I would quite honestly urge you to return the anemone until the 30 gal is properly matured and ready to keep such a species. Keeping it in the 10 gal will prove to be a large challenge that I do not think the anemone will fair well in.

Cheers
Steve

i will ask if they can hold it for me.... and go from there.
will the clown its hosting be alright without it?

The clown will easily adopt something else sooner or later. It is a common misconception that clowns need anemones to do well or vise versa, they don't.

Cheers
Steve

thanks steve-s for all your help....
i will take you up on your advice and bring it back in to my lfs. and go from there...
thanks again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom