Anenomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cushingme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having some problems with my anenomes. I have (had) two bubble anenomes. One never really looked good sinc I got him home and he died. The other one released from his rock and got stuck to my power head intake. My husband spent about an hour gentle getting him out but I don't know if he is going to make it. My water is perfect so I know that is not bother them. the only thing that I am having a problem with is that red slimy algae that grows like crazy. I don't know if that is the problem. I am going to get a DO this week so hopefully that will solve that. Any suggestions? My clown is very very upset because the one that got stuck in the powerhead is all closed up and he is defending fearcely! Help!Molly

Anemones generally don't do well in aquariums. Your clownfish will also be fine without one. What is your lighting, what size is the tank, and how long has it been set up?

It is a 55 gallon, it has a power compact from Current USA for lighting, and it has been set up for 4 months. :)

I don't recommend keeping anemones. They are notoriously difficult to keep, are often damaged during collection, and have an extemely long life in the wild. If you decide you must have one, please search for a tank raised bubble tip. As far as I know these are the only ones that reproduce (clone themselves) in a closed environment.
That way you won't be contributing to them being collected in the wild. Same goes for corals.

Mark

I have two buble tips under 250 MH and they are doing absolutley fabulous. They ahve gotten incredible big and very healthy. I feed them 3 times a week. I have one rose bubble tip and one tan bubble tip with pink tips. My clown loves them also. He hosts both of them. Again thogh do your research first and do not put them in your tank unless it is pretty mature.

Getting sucked into powerheads is a common problem for anemones. Put something around the intake on the PH to prevent it. I use just the plastic housing from a hagen filter zip tied to my maxijet intake.

Please define perfect water? How many watts of lighting is your PC? Although your tank may be fully cycled some would not recommend any anenome for a tank less than 6 months old preferably a year.

They also can be sensitive to nitrates, this also might explain the algae.

Is your setup reef? Any other changes or additions to the system since you put them in.

It is common for anenome to move around until they find a happy place. I use PH sponges which also provides some additional filtration. Just rinse them once in awhile with tank water when you do a water change.

Back
Top Bottom