Angel in 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phibb237

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there guys! I just bought a small (dime sized) angel to put in my 10 g tropical tank with 4 bloodfins, 3 neons, 3 glowlights, 3 otos, 4 kuhli loaches, 1 ram, 2 small bumblebee catfish, 1 minnow, 5 guppies, and 3 baby mollies. My question is: how will my new angel grow in this tank and will it eat my smaller fish when it gets full size? I consider myself a novice at this hobby, so any help/ advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, the angel won't grow in that tank - it won't reach full size. It's really not a good idea to put an angel in a 10 gallon. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.

The angel is the 30th fish you put in a 10 gallon tank.....you're a little overstocked.

Welcome to AA

Agreed, your tank is not the right size for an Angel, it will work for a short period of time because the Angel is small right now.

I would suggest you to upgrade your tank soon, because as said above is overstocked, your are asking for troubles in terms of the tank being able to support all the fish.

Are you taking readings of the water quality? Such as Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates levels?

as the others have said, your tank is really too small for an angel fish. They need at least a 20 gal but really a 29 gal would be best for one.

Also to be honest saying your tank is overstocked is a big understatement. The amount of fish you have really need at least a 55 gal tank. If you don't re-home almost all of your fish the ammonia levels will quickly reach very deadly levels. If your tank is properly cycled you may have a week before they get that high if its not properly cycled than you have at best a day or two.

I would reccomend keeping the 3 neons and 3 glowlights and if you really want the 3 otos but even that is a bit much OR just the 5 guppies OR just the mollies

I agree with all the posts except a full grown angel will need a 55 gal tank. This is because their body is so high which means that they don't like tanks under 24 inches in height and must still have swimming space. This is not a small fish and I would imagine in a 10 gal will become very aggressive and has the capabilities to kill most of the fish that are in your tank. IMO you should take back the angel and then start thinking about thinning out the rest of your tank before any of them develop a range of diseases which they will be highly susceptible to due to stress, because of the over crowding.

Back
Top Bottom