Angel Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two black marble angels that I got when they were very small. They're getting fairly large now and all of a sudden one is chasing the other, (just started today). I have a 36 gal planted community tank and have never had an aggression problems at all with my tank. I hope that I don't end up having to rehome one of them. I have PM Bob, who breeds angels here in CO, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I don't think that they are a pair. I think (?) and Bob does also that they're two females, but as Rivercats has pointed out on here, they are extremely difficult to determine gender on.
Thanks-D

When angel fish mature they become highly aggressive to other species and their own kind. I'd try putting more caves, plants and rock work into the tank to try and give the aggressor more territory and maybe he'll be more at ease. Also you could try re arranging their tank, if you move plants and decorations around to different positions he likely won't become aggressive again until he sets up another territory.

Just as a precaution have you checked your water parameters recently? How are your nitrates looking?

There's not alot you can do to stop them without splitting them up, try removing one for a day you could also try a new scape and moving things around but in a planted tank this probably isnt what i would recommend. To be honest if theyre going to fight that's exactly it, theyre going to fight. After moving things around, as soon as territory has been established it will continue.

Just as a precaution have you checked your water parameters recently? How are your nitrates looking?

There's not alot you can do to stop them without splitting them up, try removing one for a day you could also try a new scape and moving things around but in a planted tank this probably isnt what i would recommend. To be honest if theyre going to fight that's exactly it, theyre going to fight. After moving things around, as soon as territory has been established it will
continue.

This is going to sound really strange, but I think that it was from feeding them a cube of brine shrimp. Tonight they're back to normal just calmly swimming around with the other fish. No chasing at all, just cruising around quietly.

Back
Top Bottom