angelfish and tank height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife and I fell in love with a marble angelfish and would like to get one for our community tank. I've been reading that they prefer taller tanks. We have a 50 gallon that is 48L x 12.5W x 20H. Is this large/tall enough for a single one as a centerpiece?

should be fine , angels need about 10 gallons of water all to them selves and watch out of nippy tetra and barbs that will nip up those beautiful fins

I agree for what that's worth, I have two in my 55 with cherry barbs catfish and a rainbow n its about the same height

Awesome! It's actually still an empty tank so we can choose tankmates around the angelfish. The only others we have decided already are some panda cories.

I have a 30 gallon with 2 angelfish and corys.
Id think about getting 2 if I were you. Mine interact together.

But yeah min tank size is a 20 gallon high or a 30 gallon so you're good

sobersteve323 said:
Awesome! It's actually still an empty tank so we can choose tankmates around the angelfish. The only others we have decided already are some panda cories.

Sounds very cool! How many angels were you getting?

The angels should stay away from any bottom dwellers. Mine do.
They will most likely pick on or eat any dwarf shrimp so you won't wanna get those unless you have lots of hiding spots. My amanos hide under the same spot under my driftwood all day long now:(

Also angels can eat neon tetras. So id stay away from similar sized fish.

Thanks for the replies all.

We don't want any bullying or fighting so we want to go with just 1 angel. I read that they do ok solo or in larger groups(so there isn't one dominant one) but if that's not the case ill skip it. We don't want it to be unhappy.

Yes, it'll do fine alone.
If you want two you can observe them in the tank they're in and look for which ones get along or try to find a pair. I just looked for two that were getting along in their tank and they get along great in my tank. And you shouldn't have a problem with that anyway since your tank will be large enough for them to stay away from each other if they need to.

Back
Top Bottom