Angelfish chasing off other Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noiey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two juvenile angelfish that are around the size of a quarter no including fins and are the same size. A black marble and it’s either a Koi or gold marble that’s silver with yellow at the top and black and black spots. A good deal of the time the two will hang out together but increasingly the yellow one will chase the black marble off when it’s in sight and comes near or just in sight at the other side of the tank. It can be various time of the day and other times they’ll hang out together. The guy at my local independent fish shop said not to worry too much. With the size of my tank adding more angels really isn’t an option in the long term. I did the other day add 6 black neon tetra to so far not too much affect to curb the yellow ones agression. I just wish the black one would poke back not to fight but to say leave me alone. They both want attention when you come near the tank. The chasing usually occurs at the front of the tank.There is a small castle in the tanksome large fake plants. It’s just under a 20 gallon tank and the water parameters are fine the only other occupants aside from the two angels and the 6 black neon tetras are 3 zebra snails who usually hang out in the castle but come out every so often. Sorry about the length.

Hey Noiey,
Sounds like the yellow one is trying to show dominance over the black one. Could you take the yellow one out for a few days then try reintroducing it back to the tank?

Just a thought to see if introducing the yellow one as a "new" fish might help reduce the aggression.

Hey Noiey,
Sounds like the yellow one is trying to show dominance over the black one. Could you take the yellow one out for a few days then try reintroducing it back to the tank?

Just a thought to see if introducing the yellow one as a "new" fish might help reduce the aggression.

I could take it out for a few hours. Not a few days since I don’t have a back up tank.

. That is what I was thinking. I’m going to try separating them for a few hours today before I go to work and then maybe again after I get home since I don’t have another tank to put the one in. The black Marble if you couldn’t tell is more docile and wants to try and be friends with the other. My LFS shop has another angel that I like that is pretty much the same size that I’m think out possibly trying for a while and then maybe re-homing one of them but realize that might backfire big time.

You could purchase a plexiglass divider and isolate the troublesome Angel from all other fish for a week or so. That way he can see them but not get to them. Sometimes it works. You could also try rearranging the tank decor and see if that helps.

Last night after I came home from work the yellow ine was chasing the marble again so I took the one out for a while and rearranged the plants, namely the big plant at the end of the tank and shut the lights off before putting him back in with the marble on the other side of the tank. They went right back to hanging out together. I haven’t seen any chafing yet but I think it’s too early to tell.

The yellow angelfish left the black marble one alone for a few days and they hanged out together like they did before. That started on Tuesday and ended ended by Friday. Then the chasing started again and Saturday and Sunday it started getting worse where the yellow one would poke at the black one when it was trying to pick leftover food out of the gravel when it didn’t used to do that and they quit hanging out together. A short separation on Saturday didn’t help. I took the yellow one to the my local independent fish shop for fear might happen in the future since it was getting so territorial and they let me exchange him for a different one with no problem. It’s still getting used to it’s new home and following the black marble one around. if this one starts acting territorial like the other I’ll take it back and just stick with the black marble one.

Back
Top Bottom